Graphics
GeForce GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have built two Hackintosh machines in the past. One with a 1st gen Intel i7 and one with a 3rd gen Ivy Bridge one.

I want to build a new machine with new motherboard and GFX card. But I was wondering if any of my previous processors would be compatible. All the motherboards tell you which NEW Intels they are compatible with but not old ones.

I know this is kind of a noob question, and I know the obvious reply would be "why wouldn't you want an up-to-date processor with your new motherboard?" and the answer of course is cost.

Can someone explain to me what "socket" means?

Many thanks.

Ah, so does this mean that it's not just an issue of hardware compatibility between motherboard and processor, but it can be a physical one too? Ie. an older i7 may have different connectors that won't even go into a newer motherboard?

Intel changes the socket (and other details of the platform) approx. every 2 CPU generations:

LGA 1156: 1st gen Core-i
LGA 1155: 2nd & 3rd gen Core-i
LGA 1150: 4th & 5th gen Core-i
LGA 1151: 6th & 7th gen Core-i

So your CPUs are physically incompatible with modern mainboards.

I have built two Hackintosh machines in the past. One with a 1st gen Intel i7 and one with a 3rd gen Ivy Bridge one.

I want to build a new machine with new motherboard and GFX card. But I was wondering if any of my previous processors would be compatible. All the motherboards tell you which NEW Intels they are compatible with but not old ones.

I know this is kind of a noob question, and I know the obvious reply would be "why wouldn't you want an up-to-date processor with your new motherboard?" and the answer of course is cost.

Can someone explain to me what "socket" means?

Many thanks.

Spaceford, do you have a tutorial on how you built a hackintosh on a 1st gen i7? I have a spare HP Pavilion dv6-3050tx. I believe its a gen 1 i7 chip, and I wanted to know if I could make it run macOS (any version will be fine). Just something I want to tinker with in my spare time, but don't want to put too much money into it.

Would appreciate any help I can get, it would be my first hackintosh build.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back