Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Selecting a Power Supply Unit

While composing my Hackintosh I stumble upon the question of which Power Supply Unit would be best suitable for my build. I don't want to spend more on a PSU than needed. Judging by the build posted, what wattage PSU would you recommend?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 650Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
Boot Drive 1: Sandisk Extreme 120GB
Boot Drive 2: Sandisk Extreme 120GB
Storage Drive 1: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Storage Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD7280-S
Bluetooth: IOgear Bluetooth 4.0 USB

Previously Solved Question:

For my Hackintosh build I was planning on purchasing an Intel i5 3570k. However, I can get an 2500k for almost half the price of the Ivy Bridge processor.

My question however, does the 2500k work properly under Mountain Lion? If so, is the installation process different for the 2500k than for the 3570k?

For my Hackintosh build I was planning on purchasing an Intel i5 3570k. However, I can get an 2500k for almost half the price of the Ivy Bridge processor.

My question however, does the 2500k work properly under Mountain Lion? If so, is the installation process different for the 2500k than for the 3570k?

It works fine. I run one every day. The only issues you might have are if you pair the 2500k with a 7-series motherboard (Z77, H77, B75 etc.). Then you might run into some issues with using the integrated graphics, but those issues are easily curable by a patch installed through multibeast. With a 6-series motherboard, everything should run well!

Thanks for your response. I do plan on adding a GTX 650 Ti as well. As far as motherboard go, I'll probably get a series 7 motherboard, just to be a bit more up to date and also for easier upgrading in the future.

Selecting a Power Supply Unit

Updated the thread for a new question regarding the PSU.

I would say around 500W from a good manufacturer like corsair or seasonic.

What motherboard are you using? I've never heard of the Z77M-DS3H, only the Z77-DS3H or the Z77M-D3H. Can you link to it if this wasn't a typo?

Was indeed a typo, meant the Z77-DS3H motherboard. Thanks for your input, will get a 500W.

Edit: I'm able to get a 600W for the price of a 500W CPU (Corsair, both). Is there any negative side-effects from using this stronger PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back