NVIDIA GTX 560
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have dual boot, WIN7 and OSX Lion... In Win7, CPU temperatures are around 45 C on idle, but when i log into Lion, CPU temperature are after 10 mins around 65 C. Did i missed to install some kext, or that is normal? P.S. I am using stock cooler.

Thanks

What temperature monitoring software are you using? IIRC some of them don't report temperatures accurately, I would use Search for the specific software to see if other users are reporting issues. I use the iStat Pro Widget and it seems to have reasonable temperatures. Might be worth comparing two different programs....you can always uninstall when you are done.

If you are reading normal temperatures at startup, but they go up 20 C in 10 minutes, you might want to look at Activity Monitor and see if there is some application hogging your CPU.

If you have just started using this build, OSX might be indexing all your HDDs, if that is the case, CPU activity and temperatures should return to normal after it is done indexing....usually a couple of hours.

Another thought, does your fan speed up when the temperature goes up? If not, it may be an indication that the reporting is not correct.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

I am looking up for temperatures and speed fan in BIOS. And yes, speed fan in Win7 is around 1300, and in Lion are above 2000. So, i don't know where the problem might be.. Any idea?

Thanks.

Hmmm. the fan is running faster, so let's say it is running hot...the question is why.

To narrow it down, open Activity Monitor and see if there is some application hogging the CPU or frozen. If you see something (application not responding) force quit it and see if that makes any difference.

Are you overclocking or have you enabled anything in BIOS besides the usual AHCI, HPET 64, S3, boot order.

Dschijn said:
So you are in OSX a while, reboot and check the temperature in BIOS?

Yes, sir :)

SnapMan said:
Hmmm. the fan is running faster, so let's say it is running hot...the question is why.

To narrow it down, open Activity Monitor and see if there is some application hogging the CPU or frozen. If you see something (application not responding) force quit it and see if that makes any difference.

Are you overclocking or have you enabled anything in BIOS besides the usual AHCI, HPET 64, S3, boot order.

In activity monitor, everything is fine. There is no frozen or some unusual applications. In BIOS, except AHCI, HPET 64, S3 and boot order, it's turned on "Profile 1", for turbo boost which are clocking memory from 1333 to 1600, and CPU from 3.3 GHz to 3.7GHz. You may think now, that this is the problem, but with the same settings, in Win7 temperatures are 20 C lower.

Thanks for your answers.

nes036 said:
Dschijn said:
So you are in OSX a while, reboot and check the temperature in BIOS?

Yes, sir :)

Well that's really weird. Because the time between full load, reboot, entering BIOS and checking the temperature is quite some time…
When I set my machine to full load and quit the load (->Idle) the temperature is dropping VERY fast.

nes036 said:
In activity monitor, everything is fine. There is no frozen or some unusual applications. In BIOS, except AHCI, HPET 64, S3 and boot order, it's turned on "Profile 1", for turbo boost which are clocking memory from 1333 to 1600, and CPU from 3.3 GHz to 3.7GHz. You may think now, that this is the problem, but with the same settings, in Win7 temperatures are 20 C lower.

Thanks for your answers.

hmm... very odd. I used "profile1" as well since I'm using 1600 memory. My temps on my system is 27C at idle and never goes over 55C at load. I'm using H60 cooler as well and the system is super quiet (Wifey approved...) :lol:

JB

it's turned on "Profile 1", for turbo boost which are clocking memory from 1333 to 1600, and CPU from 3.3 GHz to 3.7GHz

Well, no I don't assume anything, merely trying to isolate the problem by thinking of everything it could possibly be.

I suggest you disable overclocking in BIOS and test it again running OSX, if it runs at 'normal' temperatures, then it may be the overclocking and you can investigate how to modify OC settings to avoid overheating. If no difference, then you need to look elsewhere....we have eliminated one possible cause.

Troubleshooting is about isolating the cause of an issue.....assume nothing!

Your temps at idle shouldn't be anywhere near 45?C; my 2500K runs 3.9GHz on a cooler that is only marginally more effective than stock and stays between 25?C and 30?C, climbing to around 55?C at full load. Those are fairly typical figures for a 2500K. Check that your cooler is seated properly. Better yet - pull it, clean off the thermal compound and put some new stuff on there and reseat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back