Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH (ESXi Host)
Graphics
Integrated/On-Board Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey guys,

It was recently brought to my attention that my Intel i7 860 CPU was running extremely hot when idleling, so hot that my entire computer shut off. I confirmed this immediately after it happened, when I opened the case and put my finger on the CPU heatsink, it was pretty hot. When I turned the computer back on I heard a strange beeping signal from the mobo.

According to the iStat widget the CPU is at 49C, and that's when I am not processing anything. When I am in the BIOS it idles at about 30C. One thing I've noticed is right after the grey Apple loading screen changes to the blue one the CPU fan speed is immediately reduced to almost nothing as the OS becomes functional, is this typical behavior?

I've attached a picture of my /Extras/Extensions folder.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-10 at 6.09.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-10 at 6.09.07 PM.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 147
I'm definately not an expert, but I think it's something to do with your bios settings, go to your fan settings, and maybe, if there's anthing relative to SpeedFan, etc, change them from auto to Enable... that should keep it cool... my i7 is around 40-49 when I'm not processing... which is fine I think...

It might have been a one time thing, right now it's at about 43C.

It's just strange to me because I have played games with this computer for a couple hours at a time, and the overheating happened when I just posting stuff on Facebook.

Hopefully it won't happened again, thanks PooyaNabei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back