CPU
Core i7-3970X
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I am about to pull the trigger on getting the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-3970X 3.5GHz!

Now I am trying to decide which mobo to pair this up with. Either the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI or the Asus Rampage IV Extreme. I have searched the threads and it seems like either of these should do the trick but would love to know what others think about these boards and which one will be easier to get setup.

I also am really concerned about installing Mavericks. The 1 or 2 builds I found using this CPU seem to be running ML.

Thoughts?

I personally like the gigabyte board more because of the dual Ethernet, the WiFi thingy and the tidier look, but for expansion I would suggest the ASUS...

This is a hard decision actually...

I guess I am going to put my money on the ASUS because it has bluetooth and you have a mac mini so you can share the internet from your mac mini (using bluetooth PAN) with the hackitosh or use wired or get a wireless internet card (the list of internet options is big) and you don't have to get a bluetooth receiver to take up one of your usb ports.

I personally like the gigabyte board more because of the dual Ethernet, the WiFi thingy and the tidier look, but for expansion I would suggest the ASUS...

This is a hard decision actually...

I guess I am going to put my money on the ASUS because it has bluetooth and you have a mac mini so you can share the internet from your mac mini (using bluetooth PAN) with the hackitosh or use wired or get a wireless internet card (the list of internet options is big) and you don't have to get a bluetooth receiver to take up one of your usb ports.

Interesting points. I actually have never bothered with Bluetooth at this point. My main goal is to build a beast of an editing and content creation machine. I use Final Cut, Adobe After Effects and DAZ 3D. I also want to hopefully be future proofed for the inevitable FCPX and Mavericks update when the MacPro launches.

So, I just pulled the trigger!!!

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-3970X 3.5GHz
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC 4GB

I really hope this build and Mavericks install goes smoothly. Hopefully this will be a contender for a Golden Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back