Contribute
Register

Intel Core i5 750 or Intel Core i7 860

Status
Not open for further replies.
tinkerC said:
Ok. What kind of usage patterns for which, may I ask?
Runs on GeekBench32 (Several, as I was surprised by the relatively low scores, circa 8200 IIRC), and then by a big MPEG StreamClip conversion...

I guess that the main issue was the clock rate of the 920 vs. the 860 (Both on stock-clocking), and the RAM (1333 vs 1600).

As I said, the result was marginally better for the i7-860, nothing to write home about, but IMHO definitely not worth the price diff of going X58, unless you need loads of RAM.

Cheers,
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac said:
tinkerC said:
Ok. What kind of usage patterns for which, may I ask?
Runs on GeekBench32 (Several, as I was surprised by the relatively low scores, circa 8200 IIRC), and then by a big MPEG StreamClip conversion...

I guess that the main issue was the clock rate of the 920 vs. the 860 (Both on stock-clocking), and the RAM (1333 vs 1600).

As I said, the result was marginally better for the i7-860, nothing to write home about, but IMHO definitely not worth the price diff of going X58, unless you need loads of RAM.

Cheers,
Lnx2Mac

Ok, thanks!

Tom

wouldn't the i3 be more than enough?

he could always OC it or just buy an i7 later on when they become cheaper

An i3 will probably be enough today, but so a C2D...
I'm still using my 2.5GHz C2D MacBook Pro, and while it's starting to show its age (and my Desktop just smokes it), it's definitely usable !
But the original question was i5 vs. i7...

Thank you for your comments.
I am thinking that perhaps hyper threading is not much use to me, so i5 may be the way to go. I take it that turbo boost is a good thing to have?
Over clocking is not high on my agenda, want stable snow leopard that I can add upgrades to,and have win7 on a second hardrive.

mike smith said:
Thank you for your comments.
I am thinking that perhaps hyper threading is not much use to me, so i5 may be the way to go. I take it that turbo boost is a good thing to have?
Over clocking is not high on my agenda, want stable snow leopard that I can add upgrades to,and have win7 on a second hardrive.

Ok, go with the i5. Have fun!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back