Graphics
MSI 970 4G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have an old (2006/7 era) Compaq desktop computer. It has a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, 4GB DDR2 RAM and a Asus IPIBL-LA motherboard. I have read that iBoot does support older Core 2 Duo but it just the motherboard that I am not sure on. Before spending money on the OSX Leopard disc I was just wondering if this system would work with Leopard and if I would be able to update to El Captain?

I have an old (2006/7 era) Compaq desktop computer. It has a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, 4GB DDR2 RAM and a Asus IPIBL-LA motherboard. I have read that iBoot does support older Core 2 Duo but it just the motherboard that I am not sure on. Before spending money on the OSX Leopard disc I was just wondering if this system would work with Leopard and if I would be able to update to El Captain?

You would need to buy the Snow Leopard retail Disk. iBoot is for Snow Leopard only. As far as
El Capitan support, it would be very involved to get that running smoothly on hardware nearly
10 years old. You may be able to upgrade to Mt. Lion or Mavericks. See how it goes with SL first.

So would atleast Snow Leopard be compatible with the hardware. Just want to make sure before buying the disc

So would atleast Snow Leopard be compatible with the hardware. Just want to make sure before buying the disc

Yes, with that CPU and motherboard, SL will give you the best chance at a successful install. If you
would look up the specs of the LAN and motherboard chipset that could give you a better idea of
how compatible the system will be.

Get SL from Apple.com or whichever online Apple site is nearest to your country.
In the US it costs only $19.99 so it is a small investment.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

El Capitan 10.11.5 installation on Core 2 Duo cpu.

I was able to install El Capitan 10.11.5 to my Core 2 Duo build.
I used the Unibeast 6.2.0 to create my USB installer with Legacy support.
I booted several times using the installer, failing more than 6 times, with a lot of patience and waiting; sometimes staring on a blank screen, before finally "forcing through" the installation GUI.
I used the VGA port of my GPU though I have the DVI and HDMI.

I can only boot into my SSD through the USB installer.
I used the procedure How to Copy USB EFI contents to System Drive EFI to make my SSD directly bootable without having to use the USB installer. It takes quite a lot of waiting for the USB installer to boot.
I tried using Multibeast 8.2.0 to configure my build but it doesn't seem to work, at least for the SSD direct booting.

I have problem with my network since I'm only using the onboard network function of a Marvell 88E8056 which is not supported by Multibeast. Can someone help me on this?

Network on Systems Preferences only shows Firewire connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back