Contribute
Register

Intel Celeron J4005 or J3355

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's normal if either of the fans are unplugged. If you're running it headless why worry about having the fans connected ? Are you sitting somewhere near the 7010 ? Couldn't you leave them connected and put the server somewhere else ?
Yes, of course this is normal. But every other mainboard o came across so far, had an option to skip the "Press F1 to continue" dance.
I want to use this system a sound generator when playing my MIDI keyboard so yes, it must be quiet (fanless). And I don't want a keyboard connected all the time.
If I do not find a solution for this, I will try to return the device. DELL does make good hardware, but it's just not flexible enough.

What I do on my Gigabyte Z68 system is use the app "Macs Fan Control" I can set fan speeds to any RPM I want. The problem with the Optiplex line is that this app doesn't detect the fans. We haven't worked this out yet but it's a project on the back burner for now. I set my Arctic case exhaust fan to 358 when I'm just surfing and doing nothing demanding. Can't hear it at all. I can also slide the slider all the way to the right and it runs at 1600 RPM. I leave the CPU fan set to auto and that normally stays inaudible.

If you could find some way to do this with software it's the easiest solution. I've seen people do some rewiring jobs that are really complex to get rid of that warning. Many videos about that on Youtube.

Thank you for this hint. Maybe I can use it to calm down my 27" iMac.
But, as you mention, it does not work on the Optiplex. And most certainly not in a VM :)
I will return the 7010, revisit the whole project and maybe give the J4005 or J3355 a shot.
Thank you very much for your help anyway, trs96.

Another cool solution that comes to my mind could be:
  • Use the existing server located in my basement
  • Have a Raspberry 3 next to my keyboard and forward its USB ports for MIDI-In and audio dongle to the server (USB via IP)

What I do on my Gigabyte Z68 system is use the app "Macs Fan Control" I can set fan speeds to any RPM I want. The problem with the Optiplex line is that this app doesn't detect the fans. We haven't worked this out yet but it's a project on the back burner for now. I set my Arctic case exhaust fan to 358 when I'm just surfing and doing nothing demanding. Can't hear it at all. I can also slide the slider all the way to the right and it runs at 1600 RPM. I leave the CPU fan set to auto and that normally stays inaudible.

If you could find some way to do this with software it's the easiest solution. I've seen people do some rewiring jobs that are really complex to get rid of that warning. Many videos about that on Youtube.

View attachment 394386 View attachment 394388
I had this app already installed on my Late 2009 iMac, but for some reason the min values are 1000/1100/940 so I cannot really get the machine quiet.

I had this app already installed on my Late 2009 iMac, but for some reason the min values are 1000/1100/940 so I cannot really get the machine quiet.
I think that the min and max values are determined by the fans themselves. Is there any way to swap out iMac fans ?

I am now looking at a
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USFF - Core i5 4590T 2,0 GHz (128GB SSD / 8GB RAM)
Does anyone know about its noise level? Possible to disable fans?

I am now looking at a
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USFF - Core i5 4590T 2,0 GHz (128GB SSD / 8GB RAM)
Does anyone know about its noise level? Possible to disable fans?

The EliteDesk G1 is a newer version of the 8300. You could follow the 8300 guide to get it working.

The fans are not that quiet in the 8300. Probably the same in the 800 G1. You could replace the fans with quiet ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back