Contribute
Register

Intel Celeron J4005 or J3355

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 3470 T model has only HD2500. Won't work with just those graphics.
What I like about the Lenovo box is its small size:

Width: 179 mm (7.05 inches)
Height: 34.5 mm (1.36 inches)
Depth: 182 mm (7.17 inches)

Hardly larger than my 2007 MacMini that I want to replace. The CPU could be replaced by a used i5-3475s that I could get for 45€. Still cheaper and nicer than the Dell.
But:
TDP of 3475s is 65W compared to 35W of 3470T. Could lead to cooling problems/noisy fans in this small case - Just as with my MacMini:|
Also, I don't trust Lenovo. I once tried to hack an Ideapad S12. When I wanted to swap Wifi for a compatible one, the BIOS refused to accept the card and wouldn't boot. A sick BIOS can easily become a showstopper.
I think I'll go for the Dell box.

Edit: I just realised that the 3475s would be shipped from US, which could further complicate things.

Edit 2: The Dell Optiplex 7010USFF is only 129€ Whats the difference vs 9010USFF?

I just found out myself: Main difference is 9010 can handle more memory. 7010 is also available with Celeron.
Just bought the 7010:)

Dell Optiplex 7010USFF is only 129€ Whats the difference vs 9010USFF?
They replaced the 9 with a 7 ? I don't really know of any. There are minor differences
between the 7010 vs. 9010 in the Desktop and Mini-Tower versions.

There are Dell 7010 and 9010 technical manuals attached at the end of my Dell Guide.
Look through those to find what differences may exist.

I just found out myself: Main difference is 9010 can handle more memory. 7010 is also available with Celeron.
Just bought the 7010:)
Good choice. I just tested my 7010 USFF with i5-3475S. Running it fanless, except the PSU fan, which I don't hear, the CPU temp stayed at about 39c at idle and never went above 40c. So for things like interent surfing where you want silence, just unplug the CPU fan and surf silently. With the included CPU fan running it's much louder than a new Mac mini. These were meant for noisy business places not for home use. Dell at least used rubber fan mounts on the front fan to reduce vibration.

Also note that I removed the old dried out thermal paste and applied some fresh Noctua TP. That alone dropped temps significantly. So make sure to do that and replace the CMOS battery when you first receive this.

Last edited:
My 7010 USFF arrived today! Looks nice and clean outside and inside.
When I powered it on to check BIOS settings, I had to fetch and plug a VGA Monitor, both DP outputs are dead. Is this expected behaviour? On other machines you can access BIOS on any video output. Or is DP only activated by the OS? On your install thread I did not see any mention that you need a VGA Monitor in order to do the installation (My Dell P2415Q does not have VGA). BIOS Version is A13.

When I powered it on to check BIOS settings, I had to fetch and plug a VGA Monitor, both DP outputs are dead.
First thing I usually do is install a drive with a copy of Win7 or Win10 and test out all the ports and hardware. Try that first.
Then if everything checks out ok you can flash the BIOS via Windows very easily and make changes to the BIOS as per the guide. From here on out you should post support questions in the Dell Optiplex thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
both DP outputs are dead. Is this expected behaviour?
Who did you buy from ? Did the listing say it was tested by anyone or not ? It's most likely the issue is the 4K monitor's higher resolution that is not compatible with the much lower one that the BIOS produces. I've seen that in the HP desktops before.

Last edited:
I now have everything that I need running. I ended up installing VMware esxi with Mojave running in a vm.
Last step is disconnecting the fans to get a quiet system. However on power up BIOS reports fan failures and requests me to press F1 in order to continue. This is not so good for a headless system. I could not find a setup option which overrides this. Is there any workaround?

However on power up BIOS reports fan failures and requests me to press F1 in order to continue.
That's normal if either of the fans are unplugged. If you're running it headless why worry about having the fans connected ? Are you sitting somewhere near the 7010 ? Couldn't you leave them connected and put the server somewhere else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back