CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
Asus Strix RX 6600 XT OC 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Quick question. I feel im getting to the end of the run soon with MacOS on Intel. But for now I want to still keep my MacOS install on this machine, But the RX6600 XT 8gb card is getting long in the tooth for gaming on the windows side of my dual boot rig. The rest of the hardware is more than capable. (12900k Z690 Gigabyte UD Motherboard 64gb DDR4 3600, TB4 Maple ridge, 26tb of mixed M.2 SSd's and HDD's etc). I am looking at RX 7800 XT, or Nvidia 4070ti to replace the 6600 XT. Will MacOS run fine using the 770 UHD iGPU in the 12900k? if i replace the dGPU with one of the mentioned cards? Id hate to lose my dual boot. I pretty much at this moment use MacOS for basic surfing etc. I havent updated to Sonoma yet as I still have a broadcom based WiFi card, this is another thing ill be swapping out shortly.

I am looking at RX 7800 XT, or Nvidia 4070ti to replace the 6600 XT. Will MacOS run fine using the 770 UHD iGPU in the 12900k?
The RX 6800XT will work OOB and give you better Windows gaming performance.

Hello,

I am looking at RX 7800 XT, or Nvidia 4070ti to replace the 6600 XT. Will MacOS run fine using the 770 UHD iGPU in the 12900k? if i replace the dGPU with one of the mentioned cards?
Find an AMD Radeon compatible video card :

macOS will not run with Intel 770 UHD iGPU in the 12900k

Id hate to lose my dual boot. I pretty much at this moment use MacOS for basic surfing etc. I havent updated to Sonoma yet as I still have a broadcom based WiFi card, this is another thing ill be swapping out shortly.
Ok, Keep Ventura while it still gets updates. Broadcom WiFi may work OOB.
After Windows 10 / Ventura will be end-of-life ( by the end of 2025) you may install a fresh version of Windows ( could be version 12 ) and forever remove the Windows/macOS dual boot.

By that time, perhaps more capable video cards will be available ( Windows only ).

Cheers :)

The thing is im not going to throw say $500 or even $250 at a 6000 series card unless it was something like a 6900/6950XT, as they are basically last gen and heading for obsolescence, AMD is months to maybe a year off from releasing 8000 series cards, and the 7000 series cards are mature in there cycle. As I mentioned the 6600XT is struggling with some of the games I play. and in others im cranking down the settings. I even went looking on Microcenter's site to see what 6000 series cards were around new.. 6750 XT.. thats it and only 1 at the Brooklyn store (I go there when on vacation, which is a months time). barely an upgrade from the 6600XT, and incompatable with MacOS.. I dont want a used card, as they cost near as much as a new one where I live (UK).. looks like its going to be Sionara MacOS.. at least on this machine. I still have a elderly i7 7700K based rig that is my spare, spare machine. with a 5500XT fitted.

I havent got the spare cash to be throwing at a new Mac Mini yet, But im likely back over in the USA in the autumn. If apple put out a refresh of the mini (M3). That will be the next logical step. Especially if I want to keep on using MacOS as my daily driver OS. Unfortunately over the next yr or so all of us will either be stuck with obsolete hardware and OS's or join the bandwagon of legit Apple hardware. We may if lucky get 1 more OS version after Sonoma. If we are spoofing an end of line Intel Mac Pro SMBios.. its been good while its lasted. Ive been at this hackintoshing game since 2005 and OSX Lion in one way or another. and used them exclusively as my main rig since SL.

Back