Contribute
Register

Installing Windows on secondary drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I recently got my first hackintosh running, and now I'm ready to get windows on here as well. I looked up tutorials on this, but none of them seemed to fit my situation...

I already have OSX installed (using Clover), and I have a dedicated drive for it. I have a USB with windows on it, then what?

I tried unplugging my OSX drive, and just inserting my windows USB to install it on the drive. When I start up the computer it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device".

So I'm a newb, and I really don't know what I'm doing, some help would be very appriciated! :)

Attachments

• 20170911_210655.jpg
    20170911_210655.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
You need to have a 2nd drive to install Windows on. Have that connected. The macOS drive disconnected. You don't want to install Windows and macOS on the same drive. It will give you endless problems and headaches. Not worth it.

To boot from the Windows USB you'll have to tap on F12 to select the USB for UEFI option. Go through the normal Windows install and get everything working. Then reconnect the macOS Sierra drive and set it first in the boot order via the BIOS. You should then have the option to boot from either one at the Clover bootloader menu.

-Wow! You guys are quick, thanks for helping me out!

That's what I was planning to do, but I couldn't even get a windows boot loader to load!

I tried unplugging my OSX drive, and just inserting my windows USB to install it on the drive. When I start up the computer it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". Is there something I need to do in my BIOS?....

Thanks!

Immediately after pushing the power button, tap on F12 intermittently then select the (name or your USB) UEFI option. Go through the normal Windows install and get everything working. See the rest of instructions in post #2.

That's what I've been doing... I wonder if my USB isn't UEFI? I don't really know what UEFI means LOL!

That's what I've been doing... I wonder if my USB isn't UEFI? I don't really know what UEFI means LOL!

Search for "customac glossary" in this site's search box. Has nearly all the info you need. You can also google UEFI and read about it.

what method did you use to create the Windows USB installer?

Isn't windows 10 only UEFI?

My friend made the installer with Rufus, the USB worked on another computer to get windows installed.

My friend made the installer with Rufus, the USB worked on another computer to get windows installed.
Does your installer have an EFI folder in its root? If so. Format a USB drive to MBR MS-DOS FAT in disk utility. Copy all the files from the installer to the newly formatted USB drive. It is bootable because all UEFI firmware can read FAT partitions. The firmware looks in the EFI folder for loaders.

No. A full range installer has files for both UEFI and Legacy installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back