Contribute
Register

Installing windows on a shared drive under an NTFS partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been using a hackintosh as my main machine for the past six months, and have so far encountered very few issues. I'd now like to install windows for gaming, and have some questions as to the best way to go about doing this.
Currently I have two hard drives in use:

1x 128GB SSD, which contains my OSX install

1x 1TB HDD, which is split into a 700gb HFS+ partition which I use to store files in OSX, and one 300gb partition which I set aside for a future windows install.

I've read through the 'Installing Windows 8/Mountain Lion' guide, but i'm not sure if the fact OSX is using a partition on the 1TB drive. A user elsewhere suggested that as the drive is partitioned using a GUID table, I may run into issues.
So my question is this: will I be fine to install windows in the free partition of my current 1TB HDD, given that my current OSX install is on an entirely separate drive? Do I need to take any additional steps/do anything differently, other than following the 'Installing on two seperate drives' section of the guide mentioned?

Thanks all!

I've been using a hackintosh as my main machine for the past six months, and have so far encountered very few issues. I'd now like to install windows for gaming, and have some questions as to the best way to go about doing this.
Currently I have two hard drives in use:

1x 128GB SSD, which contains my OSX install

1x 1TB HDD, which is split into a 700gb HFS+ partition which I use to store files in OSX, and one 300gb partition which I set aside for a future windows install.

I've read through the 'Installing Windows 8/Mountain Lion' guide, but i'm not sure if the fact OSX is using a partition on the 1TB drive. A user elsewhere suggested that as the drive is partitioned using a GUID table, I may run into issues.
So my question is this: will I be fine to install windows in the free partition of my current 1TB HDD, given that my current OSX install is on an entirely separate drive? Do I need to take any additional steps/do anything differently, other than following the 'Installing on two seperate drives' section of the guide mentioned?

Thanks all!
If you want to keep the OS X partition on the 1Tb drive (assume the 700Gb is first and 300Gb is second partitions), open disk utility, select the 300Gb partition in the left pane, select erase and erase/format the partition FAT32. This creates a hybrid GPT/MBR partition you can install Windows on.
Disconnect all other HDD/SSD to force Windows to install only on the target drive.

Boot the Windows installer. At the screen where Windows installer asks where to install, select the FAT32 formatted partition, click advanced, click format, then continue and install. When done, do all updates, download the optional Microsoft AV and install it, make sure your firewall is on and everything is set to your satisfaction and you have it running well.
Then you can connect all your other drives, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in HDD boot order. If you did not install Instant Menu with MultiBeast the first time around, you can do it now or just hit a key at the Chimera screen to stop the timeout and select Windows to boot.

If you want to keep the OS X partition on the 1Tb drive (assume the 700Gb is first and 300Gb is second partitions), open disk utility, select the 300Gb partition in the left pane, select erase and erase/format the partition FAT32. This creates a hybrid GPT/MBR partition you can install Windows on.
Disconnect all other HDD/SSD to force Windows to install only on the target drive.

Boot the Windows installer. At the screen where Windows installer asks where to install, select the FAT32 formatted partition, click advanced, click format, then continue and install. When done, do all updates, download the optional Microsoft AV and install it, make sure your firewall is on and everything is set to your satisfaction and you have it running well.
Then you can connect all your other drives, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in HDD boot order. If you did not install Instant Menu with MultiBeast the first time around, you can do it now or just hit a key at the Chimera screen to stop the timeout and select Windows to boot.

Brilliant, thank you! I will either be installing from a flash drive or USB DVD drive, I presume I still need to set my SATA mode to Legacy rather than UEFI in the bios?

I'm also going to install Clover as a bootloader I think - I use a bluetooth keyboard and want to be able to select my OS with a mouse, and I don't think I can currently do so with Chimera/Chameleon.

Brilliant, thank you! I will either be installing from a flash drive or USB DVD drive, I presume I still need to set my SATA mode to Legacy rather than UEFI in the bios?

I'm also going to install Clover as a bootloader I think - I use a bluetooth keyboard and want to be able to select my OS with a mouse, and I don't think I can currently do so with Chimera/Chameleon.

If you are going to use Clover as boot loader go ahead and erase the Windows partition OS X extended (journaled) then in Windows installer select partition, advanced, format NTFS and continue and let it install UEFI. Clover can boot it UEFI. That way you don't have to worry about SATA mode BIOS settings.

If you are going to use Clover as boot loader go ahead and erase the Windows partition OS X extended (journaled) then in Windows installer select partition, advanced, format NTFS and continue and let it install UEFI. Clover can boot it UEFI. That way you don't have to worry about SATA mode BIOS settings.
Again thank you, I'll have a go at this today, hopefully all will go well.

can someone tell me how to install Mac OS X on internal Hard disk in which i have 4 partitions..
1 is used for Windows 8.1
2 are use for personal data
4th one i want to use for MAC OS X installation
but i'm unable to see my all partitions in Disk utility during OS X installation process. \

Please Help
Thanx

can someone tell me how to install Mac OS X on internal Hard disk in which i have 4 partitions..
1 is used for Windows 8.1
2 are use for personal data
4th one i want to use for MAC OS X installation
but i'm unable to see my all partitions in Disk utility during OS X installation process. \

Please Help
Thanx

Boot install media for OS X and launch terminal instead of disk utility. At terminal prompt type

diskutil list

and hit enter. Post pic of result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back