Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare D4
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi, I am trying to do a Windows 10 install on my second SATA drive in my Hackintosh. The Mac Catalina side of things runs great but I would just like to have Windows on the other drive. I downloaded Rufus and ran that on a PC laptop to make a bootable USB drive, then booted the Hackintosh from that, but as soon as I get to the Windows10 install screen it tells my the SATA drive is not formatted correctly and needs to be NTFS. I don't see anywhere in Disk Utility for formatting a drive NTFS so I used a small app called Tuxera but still no luck. I am getting the following error message (see image).

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• Win10 Install Message.jpg
    Win10 Install Message.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 118
Hi, I am trying to do a Windows 10 install on my second SATA drive in my Hackintosh. The Mac Catalina side of things runs great but I would just like to have Windows on the other drive. I downloaded Rufus and ran that on a PC laptop to make a bootable USB drive, then booted the Hackintosh from that, but as soon as I get to the Windows10 install screen it tells my the SATA drive is not formatted correctly and needs to be NTFS. I don't see anywhere in Disk Utility for formatting a drive NTFS so I used a small app called Tuxera but still no luck. I am getting the following error message (see image).

select the drive and press delete? (i think from memory)

First things first, before you install Windows on your 2nd drive, make sure you disconnect your Mac OS drive. If not, the installer will stick something onto your Mac drive to tell it to boot from the 2nd drive. Crazy, obtrusive, Microsoft.

You should be able to format from the Windows setup interface. There is an option to delete the partition, then to reformat it.

I am going to reinstall Windows on my kid's computer today. I'll be able to detail the procedure later on if you're still having problems.

select the drive and press delete? (i think from memory)
Think I spoke too soon...failed the install after gathering the files...told me to restart the install but no luck...bit more head scratching :)

This is an easy fix if you have another windows machine. what you need to do is wipe the drive of all partitions.
plug the drive in another working windows system and run diskmgmt.msc from there, select the disk, delete the partitions and right click and convert it from MBR to GPT partition table.

This is an easy fix if you have another windows machine. what you need to do is wipe the drive of all partitions.
plug the drive in another working windows system and run diskmgmt.msc from there, select the disk, delete the partitions and right click and convert it from MBR to GPT partition table.
Only have a Windows laptop so I'll try find someone with a Windows tower and give that a try...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back