Contribute
Register

Installing Sierra after El Cap update crashed - how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (U1C UEFI)
CPU
i3-2105
Graphics
EVGA GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hoping someone can help save me some time. With both the holidays and our second child coming up, I decided to install the latest El Cap update when rebooting and it made my Hack unbootable. Just keeps restarting.

I tried several fixes and even reinstalled El Cap using my Macbook Pro, which has always worked if I had a previous issue, but not this time. So I decided to update with Sierra and try to get it working that way. No luck.

What I'm planning to do is clone a backup so I don't lose my data (I also have a current Time Machine backup) and try a fresh install of Sierra using Unibeast/Clover/Multibeast. Then I'll migrate my content back into the new install either from the cloned drive or my TM backup.

Is that the best method or should I be considering a different method?

Thanks

Hoping someone can help save me some time. With both the holidays and our second child coming up, I decided to install the latest El Cap update when rebooting and it made my Hack unbootable. Just keeps restarting.

I tried several fixes and even reinstalled El Cap using my Macbook Pro, which has always worked if I had a previous issue, but not this time. So I decided to update with Sierra and try to get it working that way. No luck.

What I'm planning to do is clone a backup so I don't lose my data (I also have a current Time Machine backup) and try a fresh install of Sierra using Unibeast/Clover/Multibeast. Then I'll migrate my content back into the new install either from the cloned drive or my TM backup.

Is that the best method or should I be considering a different method?

Thanks

Id recommend backing up data before even updating. Reboots can be caused by Powermanagement have you implemented native power management? Try disabling USB 3 in the bios. Attach Clover folder from EFI removing themes ZIP attach.

Thanks for the reply. I normally do make backups and do batch updates all at once, but this seemed so minor. Lesson learned.

When I set up ElCap, I used Multibeast. Found a nice guide using Clover for my motherboard + video card combination, deleted the old kext files, and rebuilt. Running like a champ now, though I haven't tested the sleep function yet. I have that turned off for my cloud backup to run.

Thanks for the reply. I normally do make backups and do batch updates all at once, but this seemed so minor. Lesson learned.

When I set up ElCap, I used Multibeast. Found a nice guide using Clover for my motherboard + video card combination, deleted the old kext files, and rebuilt. Running like a champ now, though I haven't tested the sleep function yet. I have that turned off for my cloud backup to run.

You will most likely find that Sleep is broken due to USB 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back