Contribute
Register

Installing OSX Lion onto a Dell Inspiron 530

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi nsahoo,

If I read your post right I'm getting the same problem on my Inspiron 530. I've managed to install Mavericks and Unibeast 3.0 just fine. System boots off USB stick just fine, but I'm struggling to boot it without the USB stick.

A couple seconds into the load the system just restarts. I can't even see the problem using verbose settings.

Hi nsahoo,

If I read your post right I'm getting the same problem on my Inspiron 530. I've managed to install Mavericks and Unibeast 3.0 just fine. System boots off USB stick just fine, but I'm struggling to boot it without the USB stick.

A couple seconds into the load the system just restarts. I can't even see the problem using verbose settings.

You need to install the same beast to your HDD. Since USB boots fine, it's same thing for HDD.
In my case, I installed MultiBeast using UserDSDT method using the DSDT.aml from #32.
My Inspiron 530s boots fine from HDD. :)

All you guys struggling to get Sleep/Wake to work on the Dell Inspiron 530, see attached zip file.
I have restart, shutdown and sleep/wake working - even timed sleep works.
It may work on the 530s (if it is the same motherboard as 530).
I do not know about 560 so pretty sure it will not be "plug-n-play" but you can look at my DSDT and try to port it to your dsdt.

The key parts to modify are:
1. You need to change _PTS method (Prepare-To-Sleep to setup registers for sleep)
2. You need to change _WAK method (Wake to change the registers after waking)
3. You need to change _INI method (Initialisation to setup the register depending on the OS to be run)

For 530, you can take my dsdt.aml and copy it to /macnb.dsdt.aml and then at Chimera/Chameleon boot prompt, type:
Code:
-v DSDT=/macnb.dsdt.aml
The attached zip file contains the content of my /Extra (in the EXTRA folder) and the kext I installed in the /System/Library/Extensions (in the S-L-E folder). I have a PCIe USB3.0 board so I that is why you will see the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and is not required if you do not have a USB3 board.

NOTE:
1. I could never get the ALC888 audio working AFTER wake - it works great as long as you do not sleep. I tried the kext in Multibeast (the legacy one). I tried Voodoo but that worst.
So, I disabled the onboard audio in BIOS and bought myself a $2 USB audio dongle (stereo out and Mic-in) and it works out of the box as the OS X has generic USB HID drivers built-in and it works after wake from sleep !

2. I set my BIOS to used RAID (to get AHCI mode) even though I do not use raid and in the DSDT, I use ESB2 device id for the SATA as this is built-in to OS X.

3. AppleRTC.kext that Multibeast installs did not work for me. After restarts, my CMOS would get corrupted. It happens after shutdown too. So I patched the original such that it does not make ANY writes to the CMOS. The one in the attached zip is the one I patched myself and I no longer have cmos corruptions.

4. I use the same DSDT for 10.6.8, 10.8.5 and now 10.9 - yes I have kept all three OS's in their own partitions ;)

Attachments

• macnb.530.mv.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 245
Confirming that sleep/wake now works using macnb's DSDT on our Dell 530 systems. We don't have speakers attached so the loss of built-in sound does not matter.

Thank you, macnb!

Confirming that sleep/wake now works using macnb's DSDT on our Dell 530 systems. We don't have speakers attached so the loss of built-in sound does not matter.

Thank you, macnb!
You are most welcome :thumbup:

Even though you do not attach the speakers, there are warnings that occur in the background spamming the logs files after waking from sleep. Just open the Console (touch ⌘+Space-Bar and then type Console<enter>) and then filter the word assertion in the top-right filter box. You will see lots of AppleHDA assertions filling up your log every 30 secs or so.

If you are happy to live with that then you are done - enjoy your mac.

If you wish to get rid of those assertions, then you have 3 options: (1) Don't ever sleep the mac; (2) disable the onboard audio in the BIOS; (3) do 2 plus buy a $2 USB Audio dongle in case you ever wish to hear sounds AND sleep you mac.
I went for (3) as I did not want those background assertions happening and I do make FaceTime calls (and listen to background music).

I do a variation on this - the onboard audio is disabled, and it is set to use airplay if (delayed) sound is needed. It isn't our primary computer, so not used for FaceTime etc.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I found that darkwake=0 prevents idle sleep, in spite of the settings in Energy Saver. Other articles suggest darkwake=10 fixes this, and that is how I have it set now. I have no idea (yet) what other consequences that setting might have on a machine that is not designed for darkwake!

Using the DSDT in this thread I was able to install 10.9 on my 530 last night with the BIOS is RAID (AHCI) mode.

After installation completes the system is stable and Ethernet card is working. My machine has a Radeon HD 5400. Graphics are basically un-usable. Very choppy and poor. After I use Multibeast to permanently apply the DSDT the system will boot, but Ethernet card no longer works, and the system is only stable for 30-60 seconds - then it dead locks.

Any suggestions?

This is my first Hackintosh attempt so please have patience with me.

Thank you.

On a clean ML install, I can boot, setup and run MultiBeast according to the instructions at the top of the post.

Reboot works fine. About 1 minute into the new session, however, I get a kernel panic from the power management module. An additional message, "No HPETs available" is present.

The panic happens just as the fans quiet down. Sounds like machine is going into a lower power CPU state.

I've tried all the dsdt files in this thread, but they all have the same problem.

Standard Dell Inspiron 530n (same as 530, but came with Linux), E5200 processor. Using 9500 video card. Drive is on SATA 5.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Update #1 - Since the problem is HPET related and I can't find any HPET settings on my bios (1.0.13), either the DSDT files are wrong or I've messed up some kext. To keep going for now, I just went for the Null CPU power management option. I would still like to get sleep working.

In this thread, i didnt' see the MultiBeast settings that were required. Can anyone post those?

Up

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back