Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place!

I am trying to use UniBeast to install Lion onto a Dell Inpsiron 530 Desktop computer.

Its specs are:

Intel E6550 Core 2 Duo @ 2.33 GHz
4 GB RAM
64-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate
320 GB Hard Drive

What I've done so far:

I used unibeast on my macbook pro to create a bootable USB drive with the lion install package on it. Placed this into the USB drive on the PC and booted to it. Got through to the installation screens, went to disk utility to format the hard drive for mac BUT, the hard drive does not show up in the list of available disks.

I have done a little reading up and I think it may be to do with IDE, RAID, AHCI etc.

I have tried changing the setting in the BIOS but dell's BIOS is very limited and I cant seem to get it to work.

I have also seen some information about kexts? but have absolutley no idea what they do!

Any help would be awesome,

Cheers,

Ed

Does anyone have an answer for this? I have SL 10.6.2 running successfully on a Dell 530. I'm experiencing the exact same issue when I use UniBeast. I can finally boot into the install, but its only seeing USB drives - none of the internal HDs

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The Dell Inspiron 530 is actually a FoxConn motherboard and has a different BIOS and behaves somewhat differently than most Dells.

For AHCI mode, you could try setting the BIOS to RAID, but leave the drives themselves unconfigured as non-raid disks.

You will need IOATAFamily.kext, see my sig. It's run fine with LiOn. This Kext from Snow Leopard, but I think it have new version for Lion but I did not try new one yet.

Regards ---

Didn't see the kext in your .sig. Quick question, can you simply copy the new IOATAFamily.kext to the Unibeat USB drive, or do you need to do another method to get the Unibeast installed to utilize it? I really want to get my Snow Leopard Inspiron 530 upgraded to Lion. My MBP, my wifes MB are already on Lion and I love it!

Plus my new iMac gets here on Tuesday, so I would love to have all the system at the same OS level. :)

cochon said:
You will need IOATAFamily.kext, see my sig. It's run fine with LiOn. This Kext from Snow Leopard, but I think it have new version for Lion but I did not try new one yet.

Regards ---

Hello, did anyone have any luck installing Lion on the Dell 530? I am a noob and I'm stuck. I am also missing the hard drive during installation. Thanks!

I have the exact same problem but on a 530S. Anyone find a good workaround yet?

Ok well I kinda got it working. I was able to install Lion onto a external USB drive and it will boot but I still have to use multi beast to select the correct drive. I am also unable to locate a proper DSDT for the dell 530s has anyone else had any progress?

hello i have the same machine too and would like to know if you needed to change your graphics card first? or were you able to install with the onboard graphics card

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place!

I am trying to use UniBeast to install Lion onto a Dell Inpsiron 530 Desktop computer.

Its specs are:

Intel E6550 Core 2 Duo @ 2.33 GHz
4 GB RAM
64-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate
320 GB Hard Drive

What I've done so far:

I used unibeast on my macbook pro to create a bootable USB drive with the lion install package on it. Placed this into the USB drive on the PC and booted to it. Got through to the installation screens, went to disk utility to format the hard drive for mac BUT, the hard drive does not show up in the list of available disks.

I have done a little reading up and I think it may be to do with IDE, RAID, AHCI etc.

I have tried changing the setting in the BIOS but dell's BIOS is very limited and I cant seem to get it to work.

I have also seen some information about kexts? but have absolutley no idea what they do!

Any help would be awesome,

Cheers,

Ed

Ed

I suggest you download this utility and run it to get a internal view of your hardware.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
speccy for free will provide some information on your hardware.

As to the BIOS - dell does have some updates - and if you have not updated yours then I advise it - you may want to call Dell support
and ask them if this system will support a SSD ( solid State Drive) as they require AHCI to be enabled.

They may have an unlisted BIOS for this very function or tell you which one will meet this need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back