Graphics
Gigabyte 680 2gb OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is this possible? If it's would anyone be kind enough to point me to the right direction?

It is very possible.
You can go about it two ways.
If you already have user files in the SSD you can move them usign the command line (to preserve permissions since the finder copy can sometimes mess it up). The command would go something like this:
sudo cp -Rvp /Volumes/[Original hard Drive - SSD]/Users/[Username - Replace for the username] /Volumes/[New Hard drive]/Users/[Username - Replace for the username]
Once he copying completes, you need a different account with administrative privileges to modify the users home folder by opening Users and Groups on the System preferences, pressing on the lock to unlock the users properties and right clicking on the user in the System settings/Accounts menu and pointing to the new location. You should restart and everything should be up and running.

If you are setting it up from scratch, you just need to create the account and right click on it (Advanced) and point to a different location in the new hard drive.
I

I have uploaded some pics to try to explain the steps.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.38.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.38.22 AM.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.39.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.39.37 AM.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.39.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.39.16 AM.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 319
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.40.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.40.19 AM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.40.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.40.32 AM.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 122
It is very possible.
You can go about it two ways.
If you already have user files in the SSD you can move them usign the command line (to preserve permissions since the finder copy can sometimes mess it up). The command would go something like this:
sudo cp -Rvp /Volumes/[Original hard Drive - SSD]/Users/[Username - Replace for the username] /Volumes/[New Hard drive]/Users/[Username - Replace for the username]
Once he copying completes, you need a different account with administrative privileges to modify the users home folder by opening Users and Groups on the System preferences, pressing on the lock to unlock the users properties and right clicking on the user in the System settings/Accounts menu and pointing to the new location. You should restart and everything should be up and running.

If you are setting it up from scratch, you just need to create the account and right click on it (Advanced) and point to a different location in the new hard drive.
I

I have uploaded some pics to try to explain the steps.

Good luck.

Thank you! I feel so ashamed asking this but could you dumb it down a bit. English is my third language and well I understand what you said but not everything. Really sorry for that!

I am doing a clean install. I haven't installed ML yet.

So let me right down what you're basically saying in the way I think you're saying on how to do it.

1.Install ML on SSD
2.Create the account as I normally would.
3.After all the installation and multibeast is done. Go to Accounts, right click on the mouse and choose advanced options. In advanced options change the home directory to one in my HDD.

Sorry again. English isn't that good. :(

You are correct. I like to create the target directory before creating the account but you could create it using the save to dialogue that appears once you click on the location button.

Good luck

You are correct. I like to create the target directory before creating the account but you could create it using the save to dialogue that appears once you click on the location button.

Good luck

Thank you Neuro. I will do this tomorrow.

Is there any side effect if I leave the user account on SSD ? I'm asking this because that is what my setup is. I've clone the entire ML boot drive from my HDD to my mew SSD.

sorry to crash but does anyone knows how to move the application folder to the HDD?

I know that i could just install to a different location but it wont show up on Launchpad...

Here's another method: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/moving-os-x-users-to-separate-partition.html

Just saw this on my thread from last night asking the same question. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it should work. I like that it puts the large drive on /Users, so anything wanting to use that directory should Just Work (tm). The same method should work for Applications, I'd think (maybe two partitions on the HDD, one for users and the other for apps).

Thanx for the quick response but I think it's a bit too complicated for me to follow.
Making a new home folder was very easy (you don't need to change user folder). Maybe there's an easier way to do this…
Anyone?

Is there any side effect if I leave the user account on SSD ? I'm asking this because that is what my setup is. I've clone the entire ML boot drive from my HDD to my mew SSD.

Not really. That is the way I have it. I had them on different drives when I had small SSDs. Since the price has gone down I am able to keep everything on the same drive. It makes everything faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back