Contribute
Register

Installing Dual Boot Windows AFTER SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I did exactly what you said I have 3 HFS+ and 1 FAT partition and some EFI or Bootloader partitions (200mb) in between... when I launch the Win7 installer... I format the last one and it says its GPT Type (GUID Parition Table) and cannot be installed or similar.

I will wait for another hard disk for windows now... can live with out it... its only for Monday Night Combat ;)

You most likely just picked the wrong partition.. It is hard to tell which is which windows installer dose not show any names of drivers that were formatted in OSX. If the partition is a very specific size you might be able to figure it out... When you get the new drive simply just unplug the power cable to the drive that has OSX is installed on, go through with the install... once completed power off and reconnect the drive... I have not tried this but I will be soon... Ill let you know how it goes..

moshymoshy I have seen screen shots of this where each OS has its own Icon.. Is this automatic after running Multibeast or is their something I need to do for a custom look..? Your guide seems very straight forward I'm going to give it a try with a separate Hard drive... I'll report back to see how it goes...

Also If I overclock my video card in the windows Installation, mainly increase the fan speed. Will the setting set to "Apply at Boot" work on both OS's mainly OSX...? thx

If you partition as FAT in Mac OS the Windows 7 definitely will show the name you gave it, if you gave it one.

With the versions of Chameleon packaged with MultiBeast, by default you will only see your Mac OS partition unless you cancel the countdown by pressing a key. Then you will see the multiboot menu.

You can force it to always show the Multiboot menu by setting the Instant Menu property to "Yes" in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Dual booting is just as easy with a single partitioned drive as it with 2 separate drives, although from a data security perspective it is better to have 2 physicaly drives.

I had to use the Windows 7 install disk to format a drive after a failed install of OSX. For me I had both drives labeled and neater showed. Just showed 2 FAT partitions and 2 EFI partitions..Anyway, formatting with in the windows install is defiantly the way to go.. Simply click on drive options and and delete the fat partition you want to install windows too... then format it.. pretty simple...

Thanks a lot for this guide could not be any easier to follow... I completed it in under an hour... Works great... Just wondering Do you have to click on "System Reserve" to boot into windows... because I do... Just wondering... I think I saw a post on how to customize your Chameleon boot Menu.. may be I'll check that out... thanks again..

thanks for this easy to follow guide. i've been looking for days for or a noob friendly dual boot guide with very little success...until now.

i will try this shortly (after, when the kids go to bed) and i will report back on the progress of the dual boot.

***UPDATE***
this did indeed work. and it was a breeze to do. thanks for the guide.

the only bug bare i have, is that when you want to install a boot theme, it's a bit of a hit n' miss. personally, i would like to have the original boot theme from the osx install that i used. but it will not let me to do this. at one point (in one of my test installs) the theme that i selected (the basic win98 boot screen look) was somehow permanently selected. no matter what i did or what option i selected, it would not change. in the end, i ended up with the stock tonymacosx86.com theme.

Going Bald said:
damndoe said:
Hello,

I have installed Mac OS X 10.6.6 and mostly stuff is up and running. My Parition is GUID:
1. 100 GB HFS+ OS X A
2. 100 GB HFS+ OS X B (Carbon Copy Cloner Backup)
3. 1500 GB HFS+ Storage
4. 300 GB FAT

Now... how do I install Windows 7 on the 4th Partition?
Boot to BIOS, make dvd first in boot device order.
f10 to save & exit
Insert Win7 dvd in tray during post, close tray.
Install Win7 to FAT partition - it will be reformatted NTFS during the install process.
Update to service pack 1, install security suite / office software, etc.
Reboot and make sure everything in working in Win7.
Put iBoot disc in dvd drive and reboot.
At chameleon post screen hit any key to get icons and select OS X.
At OS X desktop, launch MultiBeast and install chameleon bootloader again. Repair permissions, rebuild caches with system utilities in MultiBeast or by hand and reboot.
If you select Instant Menu from the customization section of MultiBeast the boot will stop at the chameleon screen to give you a choice of which OS to boot instead of booting OS X by default.

Thanks alot! Writing this reply from my fully functional Win7 partition, having no problems at all with rebooting in to 10.6.7! I followed your very simple guide to the tee and it is working flawlessly! Thanks again! :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back