Contribute
Register

Installing a PCIE SSD on a MacPro 4,1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm a noob so bear with me.

I just got a 1TB Toshiba OCZ RD400.
I have a MacPro 4,1 running OSX 10.11.6.

I tried installing it into pcie slot 2 and 3. The ssd is not showing up in disk utility, although there is a greyed out drive called "untitled" that I am unable to click on in disk utility.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm seeing videos on youtube of people just popping them in and it working immediately.
Do I need a driver for this?

If it's an AHCI SSD, it should be plug and play.

If it's an NVMe SSD, you're going to need a special driver to use it.

Thanks! Ok so based on what I'm seeing here it looks like the ocz m rd400 is nvme?

https://www.ocz.com/us/ssd/rd400-ssd.html

Is it worth installing the macvidcard driver instead of just getting an ahci?

Also..when I try to install the kext it says username error..anyone know a workaround with that?

If you want something bootable, you should look for AHCI. I have never read of anyone being able to boot from an NVMe SSD on a Mac Pro.

macOS currently (Sierra) only supports NVME with 4096 block size, fortunately for you the RD400 can be formatted to 4096 using the OCZ SSD Utility (a boot disk with mac friendly install guide). Then it works perfectly with no drivers or patches needed.

IMG_2855.jpg

Last edited:
How to determine block size on my NVME SSD?
(Samsung PM961).

As far as I know Samsung only support 512 which is why they never worked (but did with a patch and now work in high Sierra apparently)

As far as I know Samsung only support 512 which is why they never worked (but did with a patch and now work in high Sierra apparently)
What Samsung PCIe you are using? And how did you patched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back