Contribute
Register

Installing 10.9 on 2006 MacBook Pro 15"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 530
CPU
Q9650
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have an older MacBook Pro that has 3GB (4, but these models only recognize 4) RAM and a nice SSD drive swapout from another system. I have heard the easiest solution for installing 10.8 and then Mavericks is simply to use Chameleon, however I'm not real convinced that that is the path to go. So far UniBeast hasn't worked out booting up too well (never actually will go into the kernel; stays at the grey screen).

What's the recommended path for installing 10.9 onto such a model? From what I'm hearing it should run fairly well and comparable to SL.

I have an older MacBook Pro that has 3GB (4, but these models only recognize 4) RAM and a nice SSD drive swapout from another system. I have heard the easiest solution for installing 10.8 and then Mavericks is simply to use Chameleon, however I'm not real convinced that that is the path to go. So far UniBeast hasn't worked out booting up too well (never actually will go into the kernel; stays at the grey screen).

What's the recommended path for installing 10.9 onto such a model? From what I'm hearing it should run fairly well and comparable to SL.

What are the specs? I take it Apple doesn't support running Mavericks on this machine?

Wow this seems to have worked wonderfully well so far. I am even seeing OpenGL apps working okay. The next step, though, is how can you step from this to Mavericks? I have heard that even on this hardware it brings performance above ML on to Snow Leopard performance, but I have not yet seen details encompassing 10.8 -> 10.9. I'll keep on plumbing after I share this.

You won't be able to use Mavs till they update that tool, there is a lot going on in that tool behind the scenes that I don't think you would be able to do manually to get your GFX etc working.

Any idea of how many of the pieces are in place to make it work yet? I assume that there are certain parts that are the bottleneck before they can get the tool working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back