Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's been a couple of years since I last installed OS X on a Hackintosh (10.6 on a GA-EP45-UD3P), and I'm currently trying to see if I can install 10.7 on a new Z77X-D3H system. I've tried a couple of things, but I'm a bit out of date. So far the best I've gotten in the install process is just past the verbose boot, where the screen turns white. However, the machine then hangs with an endlessly spinning beachball. At this point, I'm open to suggestions. I'd try searching more, but since this is such a new board there's not much information out there as of yet. (Other than indications that a dsdt may not be needed, but that still leaves me more or less blank on which other configuration changes I may need to make.)

For reference I've tried installing using Unibeast USB stick install method (which has gotten me the furthest) with my Apple store 10.7.3 downloaded copy of OX X. As an alternative, I tried using and a modified copy of my 10.6 Chameleon RC5/Extras folder setup (which didn't work at all - probably too old).

My system config is:
GA-Z77X-D3H
Intel i5-2500K
8 GB RAM (2x4GB)
750GB Seagate Momentus XT
EVGA nVidia GTX 560

Pull out a stick of ram... 4GB should let you into the installer (or at least remove one roadblock...)

bluskale said:
Pull out a stick of ram... 4GB should let you into the installer (or at least remove one roadblock...)

Is the Ram likely to be the problem? I was thinking it was an issue with the bootloader or a kext. But I'll give it a try.

Of my limited understanding of this, apparently the Lion install USB prepared by Unibeast typically works with 4 (or less?) GB of ram.

edit: upon further reading, it seems like unibeast actually does handle 8gb, and it was just iBoot/10.6 that had the 4gb limitation. I thought maybe pulling a stick had let me get to the lion installer, but I must have chosen the correct USB plug (NOT usb3 or front panel usb) right after I pulled the stick... oh well, sorry for the misinformation.

has there been any follow up on this? Cause i have this MB too but i cant get the installer to work. it keeps re booting, or it starts then re boots again.. i've tried using iboot for snow leopard too, but that too doesnt work..

I was finally able to install. It seems my problem was in how I created my USB install stick. I didn't realize I was supposed to use a blank USB and have a copy of the OS10.7 installer in the applications folder. I assumed it would just update my already existing 10.7 installer, which was clearly not the case.

So, after finally finding appropriate directions and following them, I was able to use the newly created installer USB to install 10.7 on the computer. I still had to find the appropriate networking and graphics drivers, and I have yet to get sound working.

Ah alright. Glad you got it to work.. Sigh i'm struggling to get os x installed on mine. Still can't figure out whats wrong lol

at what point does the install fail exactly? can you boot into the installer at least? it might help also to install w/o a graphics card... those can take extra tweaking to work properly. also make sure you use the back usb ports.

grahamj1978- did you follow these directions?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56617&start=250

My understanding is that the directions you specified won't work for the sound. The D3H uses Vio sound, while the DS3H uses Realtek. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying enough attention when I got my board, since as far as I've been able to determine there aren't any dependable drivers for the Vio codec. I did read that VoodooHDA might work, but when I tried it (I don't remember which version), I got a panic. I may end up having to use a USB based sound solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back