Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz
Graphics
rx r580
Hi

I've installed win10 (long time ago) on a separate ssd (xpg gammix s11 pro) BUT without disconnecting the ssd with my hackintosh (samsung 970 evo)... Big mistake, but it didn't bother me at all cause I use windows not so much. I had to F12 in order to boot to windows. Anyway the problem is that the ssd with windows isn't bootable. Because I didn't unplug the hack ssd, the Windows boot manager was installed on hacks ssd (970 evo).

How can I fix this? How can I make windows10 ssd to be bootable? I'd like to keep it simple and boot from F12, no clovers, etc... Clover will stay as it is to boot my 10.13.6 system.

Please see attachments

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• diskpart.png
    diskpart.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 50
  • bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 59
Hi

I've installed win10 (long time ago) on a separate ssd (xpg gammix s11 pro) BUT without disconnecting the ssd with my hackintosh (samsung 970 evo)... Big mistake, but it didn't bother me at all cause I use windows not so much. I had to F12 in order to boot to windows. Anyway the problem is that the ssd with windows isn't bootable. Because I didn't unplug the hack ssd, the Windows boot manager was installed on hacks ssd (970 evo).

How can I fix this? How can I make windows10 ssd to be bootable? I'd like to keep it simple and boot from F12, no clovers, etc... Clover will stay as it is to boot my 10.13.6 system.

Please see attachments

Thanks!!!!
assume you could remove hack ssd

and use bootrec:

@Feartech
Yes, I removed hack ssd. Super hard cause I had to remove my rx580 and then I have huge 'be quiet!' cooler. Somehow I managed to unscrew ssd.. I booted up from win10 usb, went to command prompt and hit:

bootrec /FixMbr

but it does nothing. Any thought?

BTW. I've reconnected the hack ssd now. Is there a way to do it without physically disconnecting hack ssd again?

@Feartech
Yes, I removed hack ssd. Super hard cause I had to remove my rx580 and then I have huge 'be quiet!' cooler. Somehow I managed to unscrew ssd.. I booted up from win10 usb, went to command prompt and hit:

but it does nothing. Any thought?

BTW. I've reconnected the hack ssd now. Is there a way to do it without physically disconnecting hack ssd again?
check the troubleshooting section:

you may need to "RebuildBcd"

check the troubleshooting section:

you may need to "RebuildBcd"
There is probably a chance I'll mess it up and loose access to both ssds, right? :)
Tell me, cause I know that the boot files for windows are on my EFI partition on hack ssd... I see them inside the EFI folder (see attachment)..

... so if I'll resize and shrink win10 partition and create a new partition (but what type of partition?) and copy those files from hacks EFI partition to a newly created EFI partition on win10... will that work?
it's just I don't want to disconnect hacks ssd again to perform the rebuildbd and by copying it should be straight forward and less risky.

There is probably a chance I'll mess it up and loose access to both ssds, right? :)
Tell me, cause I know that the boot files for windows are on my EFI partition on hack ssd... I see them inside the EFI folder (see attachment)..

... so if I'll resize and shrink win10 partition and create a new partition (but what type of partition?) and copy those files from hacks EFI partition to a newly created EFI partition on win10... will that work?
remove hack ssd

try also re installing windows on the drive to see if that helps

That hack nvme is really hard to disconnect. I did it once, but it took me ages. It's behind the rx580 (that isn't a problem) and behind a cooler (this is a problem).
Win10 is also nvme. Is there a way to fix my problem without disconnecting the drives?

I've seen many yt tutorials on how to do this but they all have the option to set the partition as active (from disk management in windows) BUT in my case all of the disks partitions are inactive. I can't set anything as active.
What I'm trying here to have is just to be able to F12 and choose either clover (samsung nvme), or windows boot manager (s11 gammix nvme).

Now when I F12 both clover and windows boot manager are on samsung nvme.

In multibooting thread I saw that if you properly install systems on separate disk than you should have 4 partitions on the ssd with windows10. I have only 2, primary, and recovery.
How can I make EFI partition on that windows nvme so I can have it as bootable windows from F12 menu without disconnecting the drives?

ps. I think this post should be moved to multi booting?

That hack nvme is really hard to disconnect. I did it once, but it took me ages. It's behind the rx580 (that isn't a problem) and behind a cooler (this is a problem).
Win10 is also nvme. Is there a way to fix my problem without disconnecting the drives?

I've seen many yt tutorials on how to do this but they all have the option to set the partition as active (from disk management in windows) BUT in my case all of the disks partitions are inactive. I can't set anything as active.
What I'm trying here to have is just to be able to F12 and choose either clover (samsung nvme), or windows boot manager (s11 gammix nvme).

Now when I F12 both clover and windows boot manager are on samsung nvme.

In multibooting thread I saw that if you properly install systems on separate disk than you should have 4 partitions on the ssd with windows10. I have only 2, primary, and recovery.
How can I make EFI partition on that windows nvme so I can have it as bootable windows from F12 menu without disconnecting the drives?

ps. I think this post should be moved to multi booting?
your choice to remove the drive but doubt it would help by keeping it in there as windows will see the efi from there.

maybe disable it in your bios?

@Feartech

Yes, you might be right. I think I'll do this again. I'll try to reinstall it and see.. If not, then I'll format it, and start again. Do I have to keep in mind something before I start clean install? Or just hit the installation and should work? Booting from F12 is enough for me.

@Feartech

Yes, you might be right. I think I'll do this again. I'll try to reinstall it and see.. If not, then I'll format it, and start again. Do I have to keep in mind something before I start clean install? Or just hit the installation and should work? Booting from F12 is enough for me.
always best to remove/disable hackintosh drive before installing windows on another drive, probably the only and best advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back