Contribute
Register

Installed tonymacx86's Boot CD Method back in Dec; now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I used tonymacx86's tutorial here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... mentPage=3

over a month ago and I have been running OS X flawlessly since.

I've read all of Tony's blog posts since, but have not preformed any additional updates to my system since. Any advice as to the best upgrade path to take? Should I install one of the newer Chameleon/EFI bootloaders from the packages that tony has provided?

Or should I download and install Tony's new MultiBeast installer? And if so, what should I install from the package? Like I said, the only changes that I made to my system/kexts were from tony's original Boot CD tutorial.

My system specs are:

Core i7 860 Processor Boxed
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
Corsair XMS3 4 GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 Memory Kit
PNY XLR8 9800 GT EE 1024 MB PCI-Express 2.0
OCZ 600MXSP 600 Watts ModXStream Pro Power Supply

Thanks,

Bruno

Re: Best Upgrade path from tonymacx86's Boot CD Method?

Are you talking about upgrading to 10.6.2 and the other updates that are in Software update? You can install all of those directly from software update without needing to change anything with your bootloader (although there are some additional things you can do by updating it to one of the newer ones, it's not actually necessary).

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't mean any of the Apple software updates; I am able to get those fine from the Software Update Utility.

I am talking about updating chameleon and adding/removing kexts to the latest/more vanilla versions. The only time I messed with chameleon or system kexts was on the initial install.

I was wondering where a user who had followed the Boot CD install tutorial should go next in terms of updating chameleon, installing updated kexts, etc.

Bruno

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, other than the initial install, I have not otherwise tweaked my system.

Here is what my root folder looks like:

ibruno.jpg

The drive "OSX" is equivalent to "Snow Leopard" from your guide. "Media" is a separate drive where I keep all of my media files.

Is it ok for me to delete the additional kexts that I have in /Extra and /Extra/Extensions that you do not have? Or to move my DSDT.aml file to my /Extra Folder?

Do you actually have an EFI folder, or is this the result of you moving Chameleon, DSDT & Extras to your EFI partition from this guide:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... eleon.html

Finally, I know that your original guide says to:

13. Click and drag boot, DSDT.aml, and Extra from tonymacx86-snowleopard to Snow Leopard.

but it looks like I neglected to move over the boot file! I don't have one. Does this make sense? Also, what is in the "Mac OS X Install Data" folder?

Thanks,

Bruno

Sometimes even though it's on the root of your SL install disc, the files that make up Chameleon, Extra and DSDT are referred to as 'EFI'. That's why I labeled it so- although I've switched back to not using the EFI partition, because I change things so often. Don't use the EFI folder- just it's contents.

Also, the reason you don't see the boot file is because it's hidden- a file/folder can be hidden- check out ShowAllFiles (in MultiBeast) to see all hidden files- mach_kernel is hidden by default, as well as boot and some symlinks in the root of your System folder.

You can also delete the Mac OS X Install Data folder without any issues. It's logs from the Installation- you probably got a "Install Failed" (even though it succeeded!), so OS X didn't auto-delete that folder after the install.

Thanks for the reply. I will check out your multibeast installer. Which options did you select install? I figure since we have the same MoBo that they should also work for me. Also, do you think it's ok for me to delete the kexts that you do not have or to move my DSDT.aml file to my /Extra Folder?

Thanks,

Bruno

ibruno said:
Thanks for the reply. I will check out your multibeast installer. Which options did you select install? I figure since we have the same MoBo that they should also work for me. Also, do you think it's ok for me to delete the kexts that you do not have or to move my DSDT.aml file to my /Extra Folder?

Thanks,

Bruno

MultiBeast settings for the P55M-UD2 with nVidia:
-Chameleon (one of these- I recommend RC4)
-ALC 888b
-NVEnabler
-GA-P55M-UD2 DSDT
-RealtekR1000
-Theme
-com.apple.boot.plist
-iMac11,1 smbios.plist
-fakesmc.kext
-JMicronATA

That's all you'll need for 100% UD2 with nVidia. If you've already run the Boot CD guide, you can move your DSDT after installing- delete kexts before you run the MultiBeast- it will Repair Permissions and Rebuild Caches on those folders on the way out.

Thanks for all of the help! I originally built my Hackintosh in late December following your Boot CD method. My system has worked flawlessly since, and would post a Geekbench 64-bit score of 6600 and a Geekbench 32-bit score of 5600.

I was interested in the improvements that you had made to installing OSX since, so I decided to similarly update my system. Using your Multibeast installer I installed the following:

Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN
DSDT-GA-P55M-UD2-F764-Bit com.apple.boot.plist
MacPro4,1 smbios.plist
tonymacx86 Theme

I also moved my video card from the bottom PCI Express 2.0 x 4 slot to the top PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slot and went into the BIOS and set my memory to run at 1600 instead of 1300. Now I am posting a Geekbench 64-bit score of 9600 and a Geekbench 32-bit score of 8100! Thanks!

I had deleted the unused kets as you had suggested, but when I did my Geekbench score dropped drastically; it went down to the 4000's! Don't know why that would be, but I decided that the extra kexts did not bother me, so I went back to a backup that I had cloned before I deleted the kexts.

My system specs are:

LIAN LI PC-7FNW Mid Tower Computer Case
Core i7 860 Processor Boxed
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
Corsair XMS3 4 GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 Memory Kit
PNY XLR8 9800 GT EE 1024 MB PCI-Express 2.0
OCZ 600MXSP 600 Watts ModXStream Pro Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB ST3500320AS (OSX 10.6.2)
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB ST3500320AS (Backup of OSX 10.6.2)
Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB ST31500341AS (Media)
Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB ST31500341AS (Backup of Media)
Seagate Barracuda 80 GB ST380815AS (Windows 7 Ultimate)
Samsung DVD-W SH-S223L/BEBS

I already had the DVD drive and most of the hard drives, so the whole setup ended up costing me about $750.

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back