Contribute
Register

Installed Mojave on a Fusion drive, now I can't get past Clover's "Scan Entries" or back into macOS after fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I'm really flummoxed.

Earlier I was able to successfully get my system up and running by installing macOS onto my m.2 ssd while leaving my second ssd alone.
I decided that I wanted to merge my two ssd together, so I erased my boot drive and went through the steps to fuse the two. It seemed to go off without a hitch because when finished, I started the installation process and was able to select my newly created "fused" drive for my install location.
It then went through the install process like the first time I was successful. The thing that was weird though is that when I got back into clover after the mid-install restart, I saw my USB installer and then two identical drives that said something to the effect of "Boot install from macOS". I went ahead and picked one of the two and as far as I could tell there was nothing to indicate any differences between the two drives. I did not see the "Preboot" option this time. Anyway, the installation process continued. I seemingly made it to the end. Then the computer restarted.

Now the only options I see in BIOS when selecting my boot drives are my two hard drives (neither of them labeled as UEFI) and my USB installer. Before, when I had a working version, my boot drive was labeled with UEFI, and selecting it would boot me into macOS. That is no longer there. So either my system isn't seeing it or the installation didn't finish correctly like I presumed. Now the only bootable drive with a UEFI tag is the USB installer but unlike before, now when I select my installer to get into clover, all it does is hang at the "Scan Entries" screen.

I'm not sure what I did wrong but something isn't right anymore. What I don't get is that it was working fine before the installation process completed but now I can't access anything. I'm wondering if I completely screwed myself over or if this is salvageable. Is there just some setting that I need to change using Clover Configurator? Despite the fact that I haven't made any changes to my USB Installer/EFI folder is it possible that I need to reinstall Clover Bootloader?

When I googled this and found some people suggesting that I make sure I have ApfsDriverLoader.efi or HFSPlus.efi in my drivers64UEFI/ folder, which both are. I'd assume I only need APFS since I installed Mojave?

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You need to manually copy a working /EFI/CLOVER/ and /EFI/BOOT/ directory to the EFI partition of either one of your fused drives. Clover installer and MultiBeast are unable to find the EFI partitions when launched from a fusion drive.

See my latest post here: [Guide] How to install High Sierra on a Fusion Drive

A UEFI motherboard shows a drive as bootable if it finds a file named BOOTX64.efi in the /EFI/BOOT/ folder of the EFI partition. I do not think it matters into which of the two EFI partitions you place the boot files, as long as the BIOS sees it. I used the hard drive, as my older motherboard is unable to boot from NVMe directly.

Tip: The easiest way to deal with multiple EFI / FAT32 partitions is to boot into Linux live.

Thanks for the reply Petri. I've added the EFI to my partition but at the time I wasn't able to add the EFI to my new fused drive since I couldn't even start up the boot loader, let alone the OS. In the end I was able to get it working by swapping out the ApfsDriverLoader.efi in my drivers64UEFI/ folder for the apfs.efi which I had to get from my MBP's usr/standalone/i386 folder, since I couldn't access it through my Hackintosh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back