Contribute
Register

Installation went fine, now won't boot (success)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus k52jr
CPU
Intel i3
Graphics
ATI 5470 mobility
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Installation went ok, but upon reboot, using the I-boot disk or not, I get:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x27cc0f): "pmap_steal_memory"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.14.12/osfmk/vm/vm_resident.c:757

I have tried booting with -x, busratio=24, -v -f,
and removing the video card while trying to boot with onboard graphics.
Anyone have any idea what else I can try?

Gigabyte ga-h55m-usb 3 rev 2.0 F11
8 gigs Geil ddr3 ram
intel i5 650
sapphire ati 5570 1 gig pci-e

SUCCESS see last post

Re: Installation went fine, now won't boot

I have the same problem though a different KP.
On exactly the same system/build.
I''ll let you know when i find something.

UPdate Edit:

Meanwhile ,after trying ca. 1032 different conbinations of boot-flags and terminal commands I got my
SL Retail unstaller to boot:

step 1.Follow all the steps in Tony's guide for I-boot/SL install but boot SL
with -x -v -f -x32 arch=i386
step 2.Write down the hang up/unexpected call/ unresolved PPID (Parent Process) etc by boot sector
step 3.Reassemble your build and boot Windows (or use other computer)
step 4.Clone your SL installer but re-assign the boot sectors (developer toolkit or x)
step 5.Disassemble your build and boot new DVD via I-boot/f5 -Lo ,it works-

If you do this in verbose too, you can then add the appropriate debug flags to the cmdline
and boot w your original SL retail.

So I got SL installer to boot and re-installed 10.6 clean, repaired the disk & permissions BUT:

-----------IT STILL WON'T BOOT !!!!!!-------

As far as I can tell, this seems to be video card choice related. Seems I should have bought the ati 5770 not the Sapphire 5570, as there are many web pages of users asking for kexts for this card. The drag is, in my country, we don't have the return/refund policies of the USA, so looks like I am stuck with it...

Re: Installation went fine, now won't boot: update

I got to the desktop, by removing the video card and I'm using the onboard video to configure now. I booted using -v busratio=24 cpus=1. One note, I had to unplug and replug the ps2 keyboard on each boot as it doesn't seem to "see" it unless I do so. Now I am going back and rereading how to use Multibeast to add all the custom config I need.

drummer10630 said:
As far as I can tell, this seems to be video card choice related. Seems I should have bought the ati 5770 not the Sapphire 5570, as there are many web pages of users asking for kexts for this card. The drag is, in my country, we don't have the return/refund policies of the USA, so looks like I am stuck with it...
You are correct that the probable cause of your problem is video related. There is no support for the 55xx series of gfx cards.

its pretty simple to get it working you need another video card i use a cheapo 8800 for all my customac builds that us 400series and up cards to work.

The trick is to get it set up and running completely 'vanilla' with the older card , even set up the NVIDIA latest drivers for the machine so you have full acceleration.

Next step is to inject a EFI string of the card.

The big problem is you never get full acceleration for now, but with lino releasing and having better support and compatibility out of the box that is something to look forward to.

NVIDIA is expected to get a REAL FULLY working driver in the next few months, this is why you cant always be leading edge.

Woops your talking ATI, well again the process is relatively the same.

Do all the set up in a lower end card , do EFI injection and voila .

gallegos_usa said:
... do EFI injection and voila .

Now if someone could explain how to do this step by step like they were talking to a 4th grader...I read thru several pages and almost fell asleep with confusion.

right now it really isnt that simple, I know it sucks to wait but you should be able to get it running at multiple resolutions on your own, injection is a little advanced.

Just wait 10 or so days and you will see a new bootloader that will enable full acceleration.
It does exist on my virgin OSX Lion set ups but I can not discuss how one would go about porting that on over.

I know it is stupid to wait but we all (myself included) for these new bootloaders to be released for full acceleration on these new cards.

Im going to do a little more research and see if i can point you to a write up or come up with my own without violating my Apple NDA contracts.

Wow, that would be awesome. Lots of us 5570 owners out here with the same problem. My only alternative at this time, is to go out and spend another $125- $140 on a 5770, which I would rather not do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back