1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks

I'm building a new computer to install both Mac and Windows 8.1 on it

I've two one HDD 1TB and one SSD 250GB

I want to install windows on SSD and Mac on Half of of the 1TB HDD remaining half should be for Windows.

Which order should I go to install should I install windows first and then Mac or vice versa.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Sharif

Others might be able to help more, but my understanding is that the boot drives for windows and OS X need to be formatted differently, so you probably should put one on the ssd and one on the HD.

Thanks for you advis @Orangezorki :)

Hi folks

I want to install windows on SSD and Mac on Half of of the 1TB HDD remaining half should be for Windows.
You are installing windows on SSD Right? Again you mentioned half of 1 TB Should be for windows? Are you planning to install windows in both the HDDs??

Which order should I go to install should I install windows first and then Mac or vice versa.

Regards
Sharif

Have a look into the below guide,
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

You are installing windows on SSD Right? Again you mentioned half of 1 TB Should be for windows? Are you planning to install windows in both the HDDs??

Thank you for @Jithin.C.V and NO, I would not install two version of windows on that.

The remaining half of the of HDD would be used as a storage device for my windows data such as games, photos videos etc.

Thank you for @Jithin.C.V and NO, I would not install two version of windows on that.

The remaining half of the of HDD would be used as a storage device for my windows data such as games, photos videos etc.

That you can use...

One option is, format the remaining space as MS-DOS(FAT) or NTFS (need 3rd party utility).

Second option is, format the remaining space as HFS+ then use any of the 3rd party utility in windows for accessing the HFS+ partitions.

No you haven't read the question properly this is not my question ... my question is should i install windows first then mac or vise versa

I'm not really bothered about the half of disk space i can buy another one if i need to.

My concern here is where should i start windows or mac

Hope it make sense

Regards

No you haven't read the question properly this is not my question ... my question is should i install windows first then mac or vise versa

I'm not really bothered about the half of disk space i can buy another one if i need to.

My concern here is where should i start windows or mac

Hope it make sense

Regards

I had already given the answer in post#4. Check the guide linked there..!

Hi folks

Regards
Sharif
order of install does not matter. Suggest you have only one drive connected at a time during install. This prevents mistakes and also keeps Windows installer from putting Windows files on any other drive. If your OS X drive is connected to SATA port 0, for instance and the Windows drive is connected SATA port 1, Windows installer may put the boot files on your OS X drive because it wants to be using the first drive connection to the PCH.
So, connect the first drive, install an OS
disconnect first drive, connect second drive
install an OS, shutdown
connect all drives, boot to BIOS
make the OS X drive first in BBS Boot order, save&exit, continue boot
at the Chimera/Clover selection screen select an icon for the OS you want to boot

order of install does not matter. Suggest you have only one drive connected at a time during install. This prevents mistakes and also keeps Windows installer from putting Windows files on any other drive. If your OS X drive is connected to SATA port 0, for instance and the Windows drive is connected SATA port 1, Windows installer may put the boot files on your OS X drive because it wants to be using the first drive connection to the PCH.
So, connect the first drive, install an OS
disconnect first drive, connect second drive
install an OS, shutdown
connect all drives, boot to BIOS
make the OS X drive first in BBS Boot order, save&exit, continue boot
at the Chimera/Clover selection screen select an icon for the OS you want to boot

Thank you very much :) .. I certainly would do that way...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back