Contribute
Register

Installation of 10.14.4 Update Causes KP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone shed any light on what this means for the 2 volumes?

(Radeon RX 460) So, I used the WEG 1.2.8 prerelease unofficial build linked earlier, and I think it improved things, but only so that I would see the Apple logo and loading bar before the dreaded panic. I also put the WEG and Lilu kexts into /kexts/other on the Clover EFI partition, but that didn't help (it was also to help with troubleshooting though)

After seeing a comment somewhere about partially returning to earlier settings around the graphics, I tried as a last ditch, using a previous 'trusted' config.plist and BOOM! I'm back in, 10.14.4, with full integrated and discrete acceleration. Been using it for about an hour now and everything seems great. (Just plugged in my secondary monitor via HDMI fully prepared for a reboot but that works fine as well)

I can't say for sure which of these settings made a difference, if I find out which I will come back and clarify, but I thought I'd list the differences in the configs that may hopefully help someone else.

Disabled or removed in the working (older) config.plist:

ACPI / Patches

Rename HDAS to HDEF (find 48444153, replace 48444646)
ACPI / Generate Options
Plugintype

Boot / Arguments
darkwake=0
XMPDetection=Yes
RtcHibernateaware

Graphics
ig-platform-id = 0x59120003

Enabled in the working (older) config.plist:

ACPI / Fixes
FixDisplay, FixIntelGfx, FixACST, FixWAK

Boot / Arguments
darkwake=10, nv_disable=1, -disablegfxfirmware
XMPDetection=No
NeverHibernate

Graphics
ig-platform-id = 0x59120000
Inject Intel

Kernel and Kext Patches

Apple RTC, AppleIntelCPUPM, KernelPm
------------

Hope that's of use to anyone, just to clarify these are the differences in the older, working plist. I highlighted the ones I have a feeling are most likely to be involved in red. If anyone has any better/newer info, tips or advice I'd very much appreciate your time, as I only have fear, persistence, and blessed trial+error on my side. The rest of you got brainzzzz :) and while I'm ecstatic this is working and happy to stay on this config indefinitely, I realise that I'm now somewhat in the dark and the next time I have to (god forbid but let's face it) troubleshoot something else, I'm going to be in the ... er, the pitch dark.
Oh and note to self, never trust web page WYSIWYG formatting tools (I initially got really fancy with tables and everything, all the while KNOWING that it has never worked out well, but I'm the eternal optimist)

Lastly, can anyone speak to what happened with the 10.14.4 update here? Is it a fix/bug in the update itself? Do those affected just have misconfigured setups? A problem with WEG?

Much love to everyone involved

Just some notes -- not that these things are specifically "wrong" in any sense, just some things you may want to be aware of :) :

ACPI / Patches
Rename HDAS to HDEF (find 48444153, replace 48444646)
ACPI / Generate Options
Plugintype

With WhateverGreen, the rename is not needed so you're good with this being disabled; as per the documentation "GFX0 to IGPU", "PEGP to GFX0", "HECI to IMEI", "MEI to IMEI", and "B0D3 to HDAU" are also not needed so if you have those as well you can remove them. Note that on my mobo (Maximus IX Formula), the dedicated GPU slot is presented as "PEG0", not "PEGP", so I have to still use the first two of those for proper power management. Also, on the power management topic, with PluginType disabled, unless you have built a custom SSDT, you likely no longer have any power management on your CPU and it's running at max clock 100% of the time.

Graphics
ig-platform-id = 0x59120003

If you just want QuickSync (i.e. a 'headless' IGPU configuration) no ig-platform-id is needed with the last few WEG releases -- it sets that up automatically, so you're good to leave this out.

Enabled in the working (older) config.plist:
ig-platform-id = 0x59120000
Inject Intel

Note that inject Intel basically disables all WEG handling of the IGPU (which is why it fixed KBL panic issues). You will ideally want to determine what needs to be changed to allow boot without this. :) The platform ID you're using here is also not a headless one, so unless you're connecting displays to both your AMD GPU and the IGPU that's some unnecessary complexity :p The kernel panic log itself will be a big help on this -- if you have UEFI NVRAM storage working properly, disabling inject Intel at boot so you panic, then booting again normally should present you with a panic log after login that you can copy/paste. If you're seeing the panic happen in the "AppleIntelKBLGraphics.kext" when attempting to call "VTDecoderXPCServ", you're running into the same issue others in this thread are; if it's something else, you've got another problem causing this.

Lastly, can anyone speak to what happened with the 10.14.4 update here? Is it a fix/bug in the update itself? Do those affected just have misconfigured setups? A problem with WEG?

10.4.4 changed a particular OS call related to graphics initialization to address some bugs -- on real Macs, this doesn't impact KBL CPUs because the update also updates the Apple firmware on the machines. WEG had to be updated to address the fact that the OS call no longer returned what WEG expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back