Contribute
Register

Installation guide for Acer V5-572p-6858

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my installation is based on the first post using all the attached files. The only one that i don't see is the DSDT.

I don't think this installation needs a DSDT. I saw there was some DSDT patching, but it seems like it wasn't needed or used.

***After installation completed, reboot system with same USB installation drive but select the just installed Mountain Lion system on hard drive***

***Create OS account and login, NO QE/CI at this movement***

I selected the new ML hard drive, but its been spinning on the gray startup screen for 20 minutes. Any idea why? Do I need to do another -f dart=0 (or any particular boot options) before I select the ML hard drive?

Was able to boot up via -v -x

Ran multibeast and installed all options according to the guide. Closed Multibeast.

After install saw an error stating:
1. The VoodooHDA did not install correctly. Please contact the vendor. Investigating.

Anyone else get that error?

Ok - I'm taking notes here for other noobs who might want to try this. I could be wrong, but these guides might assume people know something or have some experience. I hope to fill in any gaps with additional details based on my experience. The owner (original author) can decided if these details should be included in the overall guide to help those who don't know as much.

OK -

I shrunk my drive to about 41GB, but the guide does not say to create/format another partition, only to shrink the existing Windows partition. When you shrink the drive in windows you are left with an unused partition (?).

If I follow the guide only, I see ML is trying to install on the small 41GB Windows partition. I am confused. OH - duh... Disk Utility. New install.

When I go into DISK UTILITY (via Unibeast USB installer stick after -f dart=0 boot) I see a few partitions I can format, but none of them are the unused partition of 400+ GB.

What I see in windows:
There are 5 partitions.
1. Healthy recovery (400mb)
2. Healthy EFI recovery (300mb)
3. Windows C partition (40GB --- I shrunk it)
4. Unused partition of 400 GB
5. Another healthy recovery partition thats about 12 GB (disk005)

In Disk Utility what I see are 4 partitions. THe unused partition (#4 above) does not display.

What I expected:
- Shrink Windows partition (as instructed)
- Install ML on unused partition (but instructions do not say this... or anything regarding this.)

Based on the instructions in the guide, I assume I need to expand the 12GB recovery partition (drive005) in windows, restart and format that partition in Disk Utility.
NOTE FOR READERS - do not forget to change your bios settings when you boot between operating systems. And... Don't forget the -f dart=0 before selecting the USB boot drive.

OR...

I assume I need to go back to windows and format the "unused" partition I left there? Reboot and then try to install ML on the newly formatted unused partition? Or create a simple volume for X? I don't know if I need that 12 GB healthy recovery partition. Can I just expand that to about 400GB without worry?

Anyone want to assist a noob? I've tried googling to get the answer, but the most of the results come back with instructions about setting up Unibeast partitions on the USB stick.

NOTE: All solutions will be neatly documented and added here in the event the original author would like to update this guide.

Thanks for the details you encountered during your installation. Yes, you are right. After shrinking your windows C partition, you should create another partition (whatever FAT32, exFAT or NTFS, since you will reformat in DISK UTILITIES later) for the empty space

As for the empty space, it is totally up to you. If you want to give OS X more space, that is absolutely fine. The minimum space for OS X is about 20GB. I just thought 50-100GB is fine for most of people.

I will update the guide. Thanks again

Was able to boot up via -v -x

Ran multibeast and installed all options according to the guide. Closed Multibeast.

After install saw an error stating:
1. The VoodooHDA did not install correctly. Please contact the vendor. Investigating.

Anyone else get that error?

Yes. For the first startup with your installed mountain lion, add -v -x is safer. But in my case, I just need to add -f dart=0 again so that I can reach the account setup screen

Please ignore the VoodooHDA warning. After you have all the other parts working. You will have amazing sound and mic.

Just go ahead finish the rest of installation steps

FIRST --- I WOULD LIKE THANK MSLILY and REHABMAN!
and of course
TONYMACX86 and the entire community!

Life changers! Yes, you all are!

OK -- back to business :)

The response in this thread (or ML laptop forum) is overwhelming.

I joke :D Pretty quiet today... at least in my threads!

1. DONE! I don't know why this works, but it works.

WHAT I DIDN'T DO:
1. Did not create brightness key kext. Eh. Maybe later. I'm ok for now.

***prepare dsdt.aml to include Brightness control***
How to create your own DSDT using MaciASL

# Brightness control fix
into device label PNLF remove_entry;
into scope label \_SB insert
begin
Device (PNLF)\n
{\n
Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))\n
Name (_CID, "backlight")\n
Name (_UID, 0x0A)\n
Name (_STA, 0x0B)\n
}\n
end;

into definitionblock code_regex External\s+\(\\TNOT\) remove_matched;

2. I was unable to get the terminal code to work. Here is a copy and paste from the guide:

***Now reboot the system again with the USB installation drive to fix the hard drive boot up problem***
http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-e...ial-guide.html (Guide)

dd if=/Volume/USB/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s5 (Important! select your own ML partition, most likely 5)

When I rebooted, I selected the USB installation as instructed. I unmounted the new ML install partition via Disk Utility. I tried to enter the code in the terminal, but got a msg... No such file or directory.

I rebooted again and this time selected the new ML install. I did NOT use and boot tags or anything. It works!

3. I'm still waiting for the wifi card... So... I didn't install that.

4. I did not install the Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext for ethernet support. I should probably do that now.

PROBLEMS/ISSUES
1. OK. So... I still have not looked into the VoodooHDA issue. This might be important to some, but I am considering a USB solution... though it would be nice to get audio working. We'll see... for now... not a priority for me. However, if someone knows the answer to this question, please share:
[h=3]Post Multibeast Installation Error: VoodooHDA kext not installed correctly. Next steps?
When I launch the Voodoo app/controller in the system preferences, it says NO VoodooHDA devices found.

2. BLUEtooth
The blue setup assistant keeps popping when I log in to ML. Looking into the Bluetooth preferences, I see there is no way to turn Bluetooth off. It's grayed out/not clickable. Odd. When I get the new wifi card it will be gone anyway... but odd. I really would like to turn bluetooth off. Anyone know how? I'll have to look for a solution later.

NEXT STEPS:

1. Testing. :)
2. Maybe add the brightness kext.
3. IF ALL IS WELL, I will post an updated version if the guide with my comments/added details :)
[/h]

2. BLUEtooth
The blue setup assistant keeps popping when I log in to ML. Looking into the Bluetooth preferences, I see there is no way to turn Bluetooth off. It's grayed out/not clickable. Odd. When I get the new wifi card it will be gone anyway... but odd. I really would like to turn bluetooth off. Anyone know how? I'll have to look for a solution later.

SysPrefs -> Bluetooth -> "Advanced" (uncheck the boxes)

I don't think this installation needs a DSDT. I saw there was some DSDT patching, but it seems like it wasn't needed or used.

Actually, DSDT is needed for LCD brightness control. But you have to make DSDT by yourself as mentioned

FIRST --- I WOULD LIKE THANK MSLILY and REHABMAN!
and of course
TONYMACX86 and the entire community!

Life changers! Yes, you all are!

OK -- back to business :)

The response in this thread (or ML laptop forum) is overwhelming.

I joke :D Pretty quiet today... at least in my threads!

1. DONE! I don't know why this works, but it works.

WHAT I DIDN'T DO:
1. Did not create brightness key kext. Eh. Maybe later. I'm ok for now.

2. I was unable to get the terminal code to work. Here is a copy and paste from the guide:

When I rebooted, I selected the USB installation as instructed. I unmounted the new ML install partition via Disk Utility. I tried to enter the code in the terminal, but got a msg... No such file or directory.

I rebooted again and this time selected the new ML install. I did NOT use and boot tags or anything. It works!

3. I'm still waiting for the wifi card... So... I didn't install that.

4. I did not install the Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext for ethernet support. I should probably do that now.

PROBLEMS/ISSUES
1. OK. So... I still have not looked into the VoodooHDA issue. This might be important to some, but I am considering a USB solution... though it would be nice to get audio working. We'll see... for now... not a priority for me. However, if someone knows the answer to this question, please share:
[h=3]Post Multibeast Installation Error: VoodooHDA kext not installed correctly. Next steps?
When I launch the Voodoo app/controller in the system preferences, it says NO VoodooHDA devices found.

2. BLUEtooth

NEXT STEPS:

1. Testing. :)
2. Maybe add the brightness kext.
3. IF ALL IS WELL, I will post an updated version if the guide with my comments/added details :)
[/h]

The guide in first post was updated. Thanks for the information.

As I said, your audio will just work fine after you boot from hard drive MAC OS X without USB disk. Also, I strongly recommend you install the ethernet kext 'cause you will have problem to use iCloud and login apple store later on.

The guide in first post was updated. Thanks for the information.

As I said, your audio will just work fine after you boot from hard drive MAC OS X without USB disk. Also, I strongly recommend you install the ethernet kext 'cause you will have problem to use iCloud and login apple store later on.

Hello.

Thank you for the reply.

Regarding audio. After the reboot, it still didn't work. I did install the ethernet driver. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back