Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm attempting to 'upgrade' directly from a fully working version of Cataline, but I'm running into the same problem I had with 'upgrading' to Big Sur. After running the install program, the computer reboots into "Boot macOS Install Preloader from Preloader". The apple logo appears and nothing else happens. I added a clean external drive and selected that as the install target, but still get stuck at the same point. Changed SMBISO from 18.3 to 17.1 without any luck. I'm guessing there's some other issue with my config.plist?

Any pointers would be most welcome.

Did not post if Clover or OpenCore. I would use Clover but I could never get BS or Monterey to work with Catalina so I pass on that. For me OC has turned out to be easier to use then I expected, particularly when constructing the EFI from within macOS. Now several versions into OC with no particular insight other than OCD pays off when constructing an OC EFI.

If you post your EFI someone who actually understands these things might go over it for you. The most common issues I see posted everywhere:

If Catalina is working then presumably motherboard UEFI settings are correct.

A common problem installing Monterey seems to be not preparing a custom usb kext, so if you didn't you need to in Catalina. USBinjectall kext may not work at all, might activate 1 or 2 motherboard USB 2 ports. If your custom kext works in Catalina it will work in BS and Monterey, Clover or OC. Bluetooth can be problematic but worry about that when you get there.

For Monterey on OC be sure to use the latest version, latest kexts, use pre-made files and triple check all configp settings. Your stuff should work with generic drivers/kexts et al apart from the custom USB kext. Use the recommended SMBIOS, in my not unlimited experience OC is not as pliant about the SMBIOS as Clover. I assume you know you can/should use the same identifiers as you are using in Catalina if going to boot Monterey on the same machine. I always do.

I generally do what I think you are doing, installing/updating from a current macOS install to a new SSD--it won't work for Monterey if not using a Monterey compatible EFI in Catalina (the same EFI will/should work with both OSes). If constructing a new OC EFI obviously you check that it boots from a USB key stably before copying to an SSD.

Thanks for getting back to me. I should have mentioned I'm running Clover with my current Catalina setup. I only recently resolved my USB issue and now have all ports for USB1,2,3 working correctly. Resolving this made no difference to the boot-ability of BS or Monterey. I've attached my current config to this post in the hope someone might be able to help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for getting back to me. I should have mentioned I'm running Clover with my current Catalina setup. I only recently resolved my USB issue and now have all ports for USB1,2,3 working correctly. Resolving this made no difference to the boot-ability of BS or Monterey. I've attached my current config to this post in the hope someone might be able to help.
iMac17,1 is for a skylake system

I rolled it back from 18,3 to 17,1 in the hope I would experience some change in the boot process last night.

I rolled it back from 18,3 to 17,1 in the hope I would experience some change in the boot process last night.
iMac19,1 is for coffeelake

Unfortunately, that's had no effect on booting up on the install side of the process.

Unfortunately, that's had no effect on booting up on the install side of the process.
boot verbose to see what the issue could be

Here is the output shown, it appears not to be making it very far.

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
Here is the output shown, it appears not to be making it very far.
check your bios settings are correct:

Disable:
Fast Boot
Secure Boot
Serial/COM Port
Parallel Port
VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
CSM
Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
Intel SGX
Intel Platform Trust
CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable:
VT-x
Above 4G decoding
Hyper-Threading
Execute Disable Bit
EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or 128MB
SATA Mode: AHCI

then transition over to using OpenCore

your config.plist from your clover version is too old to run monterey

Status