Contribute
Register

Installation:Choosing usb-hdd from boot menu doesn't take me to usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mavericks
CPU
Intel i7 950
Graphics
Ati Radeon 5770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, so i have been enjoying my Sl for a couple of years now and i thought about upgrading to mountain lion so i went into the guide section in the web site and followed every step to the word.

I am right now, stuck...on STEP 3: "Install OS X Mountain Lion
You're almost done! All you need to do is boot from the USB drive and install! Set your BIOS or UEFI to Optimized Defaults, and your hard drive to AHCI mode.

1. Turn on the computer
2. Press the hotkey to choose boot device

If you have a Gigabyte motherboard press F12
If you have a ASUS motherboard, press F8

3. Choose USB-HDD"

I choose usb-hdd... but i don't get to the usb booting menu, instead i get to my normal hd and it loads snow leopard all over again and before i know it im back in my snow leopard desktop.

I have tryd picking usb-zip and all the other usb type names in the boot menu...none worked, i keep getting the same result.

Can any one please help me to fund a way to reach my mountain lion usb drive?

Thank you.

My specs:
Current os:Snow Leopard
CPU:Intel i7 950
Graphics:Ati Radeon 5770
MotherBoard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Come on guys, i would really appreciate some help here...

thanks!

bios

F12

advance boot menu

hard drive

the usb installer.

have fun with your machine.

bios

F12

advance boot menu

hard drive

the usb installer.

have fun with your machine.

I know

Already tried it

Didn't work.

Any one else?

Are you booting off a USB 2.0 port? Do not use a 3.0 "SuperSpeed" port (has a blue plastic guide) for OSX install.

Also, make double sure you formatted the USB stick with a FAT32 MBR partition.

Hmm...but didn't the guide say to format the USB stick to Mac extended journal???

Hmm...but didn't the guide say to format the USB stick to Mac extended journal???

Ahh..silly me. You need to use MBR partitioning but format as MacOS extended journaled. Since you referenced the guide, I'm sure you did this already ;)

Did you confirm you were booting from a non-USB 3.0 port?

Ahh..silly me. You need to use MBR partitioning but format as MacOS extended journaled. Since you referenced the guide, I'm sure you did this already ;)

Did you confirm you were booting from a non-USB 3.0 port?

Yes sir, i didn't use the blue usb, only the yellow and normal...

Any thing else you can think of?

Are you using a USB flash drive and not a SD or microSD card in a USB adapter? To confirm your USB drive is bootable, you could download something like memtest86 (USB bootable version) and flash that to your USB drive. If you can boot successfully into memtest86 from USB, then you know it's not a motherboard or boot-from-USB issue. You can then focus on issues with creating the Unibeast install itself.

Also, I don't think your motherboard supports UEFI boot, but if there is a "UEFI: <your_USB_drive>" option in the boot menu, do not select; use the non-UEFI option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back