Contribute
Register

Install Win7 on the drive I use as a clone but on a different partition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I have a question that I think I should better ask before I **** something up.

I have an SSD with my Moutain Lion install, two other hard drives for my data and a third 1TO hard drive which contains 3 partitions :

- a 120 go partition which contains a clone of my Moutain Lion SSD
- a 830 go partition which contains copies of my data.
- a 50 go partition on which I plan to install windows .

Is it possible ? the 50 go partition is already MS-DOS(FAT 32) formatted and I plan to format it to NTFS using the Windows 7 installer.

Can I do that ? Do I risk to make my 120go clone partition unusable ? Do I risk anything ? :lol: My third hard drive on which I plan to do that is a GUID partition table, is it a problem ?

Thanks a lot .
Axel

SSD prices have come down substantially in the last few months. I would buy a new 120 GB SSD and do a fresh clone from your Master Mountain Lion SSD installation. Windows needs a lot of space compared to OSX - its amazing how quickly a Windows install outgrows an OS X installation in size, even with little use.

Adrian B

Thanks for your answer Andrian.

But on a technical point of view, is what I plan to do possible ? Without headaches and problems ?

Thanks for your answer Andrian.

But on a technical point of view, is what I plan to do possible ? Without headaches and problems ?

It is technically possible as long as things go according to plan. Headaches and problems often happen when someone is unsure about something and makes a mistake. The seriousness of that mistake depends on the backup procedures available to get you out of trouble.

I would rather install windows on its own drive, but the laptop guys often do not have this luxury. Just make sure that you do not rush the installation. As always backup anything of value.

All the Best

Adrian B

Ok , thanks.

I don't think I risk too much as long as I have backups and the partition on which I plan to install windows is on a backup drive.

If I do not accept any partition erasing or so and proceed with caution the worst thing that can happen is Win7 installation failure right ? :)

I'll try the Win7 install tonight or tommorow and post here if I succeded.

Any other feedback would be appreciated.
Axel.

Hi

EDIT : Wifi is now working oob in Windows and I found a thread explaining how to hide my windows parition in osx ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ndows-partition-any-other-partition-os-x.html ) . Thanks, this forum is great.

I managed to install Win7 on my 50go partition without any trouble.
Thanks for your help. I'm now trying to get wifi connectivity etc... I did install gigabyte's drivers but I think i need to install tp-link's too.

That said, you were probably right saying that 50go could be a bit tight for a Windows install, it is. Hopefully I don't need to do/install lots of things on it, it's only to have a Windows side available and maybe run a few softwares/games.

I have a last question, is it possible to do something on my Moutain Lion part so I don't see the windows partition called " untitled " on my desktop and in the finder ?`

Hi

EDIT : Wifi is now working oob in Windows and I found a thread explaining how to hide my windows parition in osx ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ndows-partition-any-other-partition-os-x.html ) . Thanks, this forum is great.

I managed to install Win7 on my 50go partition without any trouble.
Thanks for your help. I'm now trying to get wifi connectivity etc... I did install gigabyte's drivers but I think i need to install tp-link's too.

That said, you were probably right saying that 50go could be a bit tight for a Windows install, it is. Hopefully I don't need to do/install lots of things on it, it's only to have a Windows side available and maybe run a few softwares/games.

I have a last question, is it possible to do something on my Moutain Lion part so I don't see the windows partition called " untitled " on my desktop and in the finder ?`

I think also that 50Go est very small for windows...
With windows on the same disk, you cannot boot anymore your Osx backup partition (without booting from your main Osx partition or an USB).
Chameleon has an option to hide the disks at boot:
It is to be added to /extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Syntax is:
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>"Data" "Win7"</string>
This is caching at boot disks called "Data" and "Win7"....

I don't need much space in my Windows part, I just keep it under my hand if I need to run a windows only software.

With windows on the same disk, you cannot boot anymore your Osx backup partition (without booting from your main Osx partition or an USB).

It may sound strange to you but I did the test and I can boot on my ML Backup partition from chimera bootloader at start of my computer without booting from USB or my main partition.
Is it because my main ML part is working so the computer loads the bootloader which is on it, right ?

That said, even if I have a problem with my main Moutain Lion SSD, I got my backup USB with a fresh ML installer + multibeast/chimera/unibeast on it to backup, so I'm prepared for war.

When I launch my hack, I get the chimera bootloader screen with my 3 partitions :
- Moutain Lion ( main SSD )
- Backup ML
- Windows 7

Backup ML and Windows 7 are on the same physical hard drive but on different partitions. Each of them bootable.

Axel.

I don't need much space in my Windows part, I just keep it under my hand if I need to run a windows only software.

It may sound strange to you but I did the test and I can boot on my ML Backup partition from chimera bootloader at start of my computer without booting from USB or my main partition.
Is it because my main ML part is working so the computer loads the bootloader which is on it, right ?

That said, even if I have a problem with my main Moutain Lion SSD, I got my backup USB with a fresh ML installer + multibeast/chimera/unibeast on it to backup, so I'm prepared for war.

When I launch my hack, I get the chimera bootloader screen with my 3 partitions :
- Moutain Lion ( main SSD )
- Backup ML
- Windows 7

Backup ML and Windows 7 are on the same physical hard drive but on different partitions. Each of them bootable.

Axel.
When you are starting from ML disk you can boot ML, Windows or ML Backup.
If you start from the partition with Windows and ML Backup you can boot only Windows.
As far as I know Chimera and Windows are not compatible on same physical drive.
If your ML partition is becoming not bootable, you can only boot windows except if you have an USB stick for emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back