Contribute
Register

Install ML with XMove like Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@turtle - Could you walk me through the steps you went through? Starting to think 10.7.4 might be as far as I can get...

@turtle - Could you walk me through the steps you went through? Starting to think 10.7.4 might be as far as I can get...

Sure cjviscito, I'll be glad too.. but first I need to know, do you have a spare hard drive that you can connect via USB? Using one of those IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 converters? If not, would it be possible to install the spare hard drive in your case?

Otherwise, it would probably be better to just get a 8GB flash drive; they're pretty cheap on ebay. However, you did say your mobo might not support booting from a USB flash drive? Sometimes you have to enable that "feature" in your BIOS.

On Gigabyte boards it is normally under "Integrated Peripherals", then look for "USB Storage Function" and set it to Enabled.

@praj - My current partition map is GUID but the Unibeast guide says to use MBR... did you use GUID or MBR? I'm sorely tempted to just go get an 8GB USB drive... but I don't think that my AsRock H55M-LE motherboard supports booting from USB...

My Disk is GUID. I only have two partitions, one with "ML" and the other the installer. The "Installer" partition is 10GB in size.. I definitely used MBR.. With my mobo, the issue was I needed to use the normal SATA ports and not the special Gigabyte (GSATA) white ports..

I'm starting to get really frustrated... I tried Praj's method... no luck... I tried to install Multibeast on the Installer drive to see if that would work, nope... I've tried XMove - no joy... updated my Chimera... nothing...

Seriously starting to run out of options...

What's the problem you're facing? What's your boot priority set to? Are you able to boot into the installer?

@praj - The partition table for the entire drive is GUID... I have a Windows 7 MBR NTFS drive in the same rig if i need Windows for anything... So I'm guessing that I can't use GUID for the UniBeast method... so I may try slicing off a piece of my Windows drive for it...

My boot priorities are CD -> Chimera Drive (With OS X Lion running)

I can't boot into the Installer drive at all... using XMove or UniBeast... I select the drive at the Chimera prompt and then the screen flashes black and I'm rebooting back at my first BIOS screen.

On a side note - am I supposed to extract the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" Unix Executable File and place that in my Applications folder... or just leave the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" application that downloaded in my Applications folder for XMove?

You don't need to extract the app. Unibeast should automatically check your apps folder and do the necessary move..

You won't need the windows 7 drive at all.. You do not mention your installer partition, I'm assuming you have it on the same GUID disk(like me).. Erase it completely and then try using unibeast on it..

Also, stupid question maybe, is your SATA set to AHCI mode? My mobo had it in 2 places that I need to change..

You mention installer drive, don't you mean installer partition? Also, set Chimera Drive (your lion drive) to boot first.. not the CD.. and then try botting into the installer partition at the chimera prompt..

I checked my BIOS and everything is set for AHCI mode, has been since Snow Leopard.

Yeah, my Installer partition is on the same GUID drive as OS X right now. It's actually the 3rd partition. First is OS X, second is my Carbon Copy Back-Up... And 3rd is the Installer.

I've tried simply erasing the installer, erasing zero space, deleting the installer partition and recreating it...

So I tried changing the Installer from Mac OS X Extended to MS-DOS FAT thinking that might help and it caused Chimera to crash... I had to boot into my old Snow Leopard disc to get into Disk Utility to remove it so I could get back into Lion... here's my specs for any ideas:

ASRock H55M-LE Motherboard
SATA Seagate 1.5TB hard drive (2 750GB partitions)
SATA WD 500GB hard drive (Windows 7)
G-Skill 4GB DDR3 RAM
XFX nVidia GTS 250 215MB RAM

I use onboard audio and internet via Multibeast fixes and have my own DSDT.

I'm seriously wondering if I should wipe the Windows drive since I very rarely, if ever, boot into Windows anymore... plus I have the OS disc and key, so I could always go back and reinstall it if I wanted to... and just use the bare drive for a fresh ML install and see if it will work that way...

@Turtle... I have an actual spare hard drive to use now, I wiped my old Windows 7 install so I have an extra 500GB of space to play with... I did check my BIOS and there was a mention of HPET Table that was disabled, so I enabled it... but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone know how I can get xMove to recognize my ML dmg?

I don't have an "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" in the Apps folder...

I have the InstallESD.dmg on my desktop, I mount it and I get nothing. See pic.

I should mention that when I upgraded to Lion from SL I used this method but I forgot how I made xMove recognize my dmg.

iBAO22g9LUHLC.png

Heres how I did it and it worked first time.

Download a FRESH ML download from app store. As soon as its complete install it to the drive you want to upgrade to ML. Works for ether SL or lion so whatever what is ok.

After it finishes it will say you need to restart. Restart. Will load like normal.
Download xmove for ML and drag to desktop.

Open disk utility and partition an 8gb drive and exit

open xmove and click install and select the 8gb partition NOT your SL / Lion drive. Click install it will finish.

exit and when you hit the chimera screen load into your 8gb drive.

install to the same drive you installed ML on before from app store. will install no problem.

If you have an 6850 like me try using the settings graphicsenabler=No aticonfig=pithecia -v and if you get stuck at the apple spinning wheel give it a couple minutes because the first time I loaded it it took almost a full minute to sign in

hope it works for you.

@Taylor - I've tried that with both XMove and UniBeast.

I'm running 10.7.4 fine on an ASRock H55M-LE Mobo with a nVidia GTS 250 video card.

I've read that other people are having issues with ASRock boards, and I think I'm the only person who's attempting this installation on this 3 year old board. People with newer ASRock boards are able to get ML to work by flashing a BIOS update, but there hasn't been one for my board since 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back