Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, i got my dad's old 20" dell laptop and im trying to install Mac OS X on it.
Mavericks is the only version that boots into the installer but then i have problems there as well. Down here my problem description and my specs:

CPU: Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo: 2,33 Ghz
Ram: 2x2GB DDR2 667Mhz
Hdd: 750GB 7200RPM
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1800 256MB GRAM
Display: 20" display max resolution 1680x1050

I've tried several versions of Mac OS X and all result in a Kernel Panic with several bootflags, except for mavericks.
Mavericks gets into the installer, but about 5 minutes after starting the install, the screen changes to installation failed.
However despite what i read on multiple internet pages, my installation isnt near completion when this happens but its not even halfway the install bar of OS X. therefor I also CAN'T boot the drive since its not showing up in my bootloader of my USB.

Is there anything that could cause this problem?
I disabled stuff like Intel virtualization and limited the CPU on 1 core in the BIOS. i boot with the flags:
-v -x npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=no cpus=1
(i need that last one otherwise it doesnt boot at all...)

Can someone help me?

Greetings and many thnx
Ventus

Hi guys, i got my dad's old 20" dell laptop and im trying to install Mac OS X on it.
Mavericks is the only version that boots into the installer but then i have problems there as well. Down here my problem description and my specs:

CPU: Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo: 2,33 Ghz
Ram: 2x2GB DDR2 667Mhz
Hdd: 750GB 7200RPM
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1800 256MB GRAM
Display: 20" display max resolution 1680x1050

I've tried several versions of Mac OS X and all result in a Kernel Panic with several bootflags, except for mavericks.
Mavericks gets into the installer, but about 5 minutes after starting the install, the screen changes to installation failed.
However despite what i read on multiple internet pages, my installation isnt near completion when this happens but its not even halfway the install bar of OS X. therefor I also CAN'T boot the drive since its not showing up in my bootloader of my USB.

Is there anything that could cause this problem?
I disabled stuff like Intel virtualization and limited the CPU on 1 core in the BIOS. i boot with the flags:
-v -x npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=no cpus=1
(i need that last one otherwise it doesnt boot at all...)

Can someone help me?

Greetings and many thnx
Ventus

Old computer... Not sure if the Radeon x1800 is supported. My guess is not.

I know, it allready had problems for drivers with Windows 7, none the less, it should still be posible to install Mac os 10.9 right? the fact that it might not be supported by the .kext doesnt have anything to do with an installer quiting half way its progress

I know, it allready had problems for drivers with Windows 7, none the less, it should still be posible to install Mac os 10.9 right?

Maybe, but there is little point if the graphics device is not supported.

the fact that it might not be supported by the .kext doesnt have anything to do with an installer quiting half way its progress

Agreed. That sounds more like an improperly created installer, bad USB flash, or problem with HDD/SATA drivers. Or other problem... (overheating/bad RAM/other...)

Maybe, but there is little point if the graphics device is not supported.
I know, though ive read several people that got tiger of Leopard to run on this machine, maybe i can use an Kext from there ones this install of mavericks works.

Agreed. That sounds more like an improperly created installer, bad USB flash, or problem with HDD/SATA drivers. Or other problem... (overheating/bad RAM/other...)
Okay, could it be that the installer is damaged because it was created on a 10.8.4 running hackintosh?

I know, though ive read several people that got tiger of Leopard to run on this machine, maybe i can use an Kext from there ones this install of mavericks works.

Probably 32-bit kexts. Mavericks (and ML) is 64-bit only.

Okay, could it be that the installer is damaged because it was created on a 10.8.4 running hackintosh?

I really don't know. It is just a possibility.

Ahr that's true.. Didn't think about that..

and yeah im creating a new USB right now, see if that works.
system over heating could be but the laptop is partly opened up because of reparation so I doubt it.

Okay, thnx for the tips rehabman,
I retried and kept the system open this time. As in the top panel off.
Mac OS X 10.9 is installed... I just have to search for kexts now.

im allready surprised that this worked, only negative thing is that I can't enable multicore. It causes the system to end up in a boot loop and restart the system or infinite apple loading screen.

Okay, thnx for the tips rehabman,
I retried and kept the system open this time. As in the top panel off.
Mac OS X 10.9 is installed... I just have to search for kexts now.

im allready surprised that this worked, only negative thing is that I can't enable multicore. It causes the system to end up in a boot loop and restart the system or infinite apple loading screen.

Meaning you're needing to use cpus=1? If so, it is likely "Local APIC" panic. You can use KernelPatcher module from Chameleon to fix it.

Meaning you're needing to use cpus=1? If so, it is likely "Local APIC" panic. You can use KernelPatcher module from Chameleon to fix it.

Not even need to do that ^^ my laptop has an option in the bios to enable and disable the multi core usage of this dual core CPU and with the usage OFF it boots without problems, even without using a bootflag.

Im gonna see if i can get other things working. I found a website where the AMDRadeonx1000.kext was used from snow leopard. oh well we'll see ^^ if i need any support i know i can ask here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back