Contribute
Register

Install Hackintosh/Clover on existing Linux system w/ GRUB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P5Q Pro Turbo
CPU
Q8400
Graphics
GT 210
So all the guides seem to start with installing MacOS first, or Windows first. My system currently has 4 Linux distros, which isn't bad since I used to have 9.

Will Clover overwrite my existing EFI partition and GRUB entries?

I attached a picture of my current partitions. This is a GPT disk and already has an EFI partition with GRUB on it.

As you can see, there is a spot with 68GB free. Am I right to just create an HFS+ partition in this space and then run the installer from my USB stick as per normal?

When I run Multibeast at the end to install Clover, will it simply add an entry into my EFI boot options and leave GRUB alone?

My hope is to still be able to hit F11 during boot, which pops up a list of available UEFI bootloaders (currently only GRUB), and be able to choose either GRUB or Clover.

I have a lot of experience with Linux, but not MacOS or Clover. I've only installed it in a VM and on an old non-EFI system.

Thanks for any insight!
-D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-09_19-08-55.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-09_19-08-55.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 236
Is your physical EFI partition the first partition on the drive? Clover prefers it to be first.
Clover installation adds the Clover files to the ESP, does not touch the grub folder or the Microsoft folder if you have one there. Clover will boot the grub bootloader if the icon is selected from the Clover screen - no need to F11, but you can if you want to.

No, my EFI partition is physically on the END of the drive as seen in the attached image. Will this cause problems? It's always been at the end.

Glad to hear it won't interfere with other bootloaders. As for the F11 thing, that's because I'd like to keep GRUB as my default bootloader, so it will remain #1 in the order in my UEFI settings. Then if I want to boot into Clover I can hit F11 on boot and choose it instead. Reason for this is that I usually use Linux, and GRUB manages all my distros. It also remembers which was last used, so I can reboot and it will boot into the same distro as last time automatically.

No, my EFI partition is physically on the END of the drive as seen in the attached image. Will this cause problems? It's always been at the end.
The Clover installer locates it if has the EFI system partition GPT GUID.

The Clover installer locates it if has the EFI system partition GPT GUID.

Thank you! Yes my drive is partitioned as GPT. So there shouldn't be a problem then?

Thank you! Yes my drive is partitioned as GPT. So there shouldn't be a problem then?
If the EFI partition has the EFI GUID the Clover installer should find the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back