Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Can some one give me a link to how to accomplish this. I was reading one from insanelygreatmac and i didnt understand it at all. Anyone have video or easier set of instructions for doing this.

I wonder why Tonymac and the rest are so silent regarding this type of install.

I really like the idea of doing a fresh install and to be honest, installing SL first, adds a good 30 minutes to the install, which at this point, i think is a waste.

Me too.

I want to install Lion but the build i want to put together will use sandy bridge graphics or nvidia 5xx series card which i gather do not work in snow leopard. So going straight to lion seems to make the most sense to me.

The problem is that is kind of illegal. Well actually a Hackintosh is illegal but If you buy the software from Apple I guess you have the right from installing to a PC. Now the problem is that Apple didn't provide a DVD of Lion and for now to legal users the only way to upgrade it's from Snow Leopard. So TonyMac can't give a solution to this because they probabily attack him for piracy and thing like that.

Im not so sure about that. Once you purchase and download the lion installer you can inspect the package contents to find "InstallESD.dmg" Make a bootable DVD from that and you are good to go. Is it illegal to make a disc image from an installer you pay for? I really dont know since i didnt read through all of the legal jargon you have to agree to.

DonutHands said:
Im not so sure about that. Once you purchase and download the lion installer you can inspect the package contents to find "InstallESD.dmg" Make a bootable DVD from that and you are good to go. Is it illegal to make a disc image from an installer you pay for? I really dont know since i didnt read through all of the legal jargon you have to agree to.

Illegal may not be the right word (I bet it depends on jurisdiction)-- but it may be. It's surely a grey area. Because it's obvious that an automated installer process (download + install) is not intended for the user to show hidden files, extract one of those files, and burn that file as bootable DVD-- notably when Apple has not, and will not, sell a DVD with Lion on it.

This is doubly so when Apple will sell Lion as a standalone USB installer sometime this month-- for $69. That would indicate that the cheaper distribution is intended for App Store installation OVER a purchased installation of Snow Leopard, whereas the full, standalone installer for Lion is intended for those who may have never purchased Snow Leopard.

So you could just wait for the USB stick version to ship.

After all-- can you even buy and download the Lion installer if you don't have Snow Leopard running?

Not as far as I know. Which means much of this discussion must be focused on pirated downloads...

Finally, if you're already running SL, why not use xMove to restore to a USB stick yourself, or small HDD partition that already has Multibeast on it? That too may be a legal grey area (I'd argue that iBoot + SL is more clearly legal than xMove + L), but at least it falls much more closely to the legal philosophy adopted by this website.

The thing is, i have my imac backed up its a 10.6.8 install.

Im in the process of creating a hackintosh to migrate my imac backup to. I have a sandy bridge processor and 560 ti card. As far as i have read, both the on board sandy bridge graphics and the 5xx series cards are not supported in SL, hence my questions regarding installing straight to lion on the hackintosh.

I do have the ability to update my snow leopard imac back up to lion if necessary.

I suppose i could just try the iboot method but use a lion install disc instead of the snow leopard disc. I do hate blazing a trail though. I would much rather follow another users directions then spending hours figuring out 5 different methods of installing that end up getting me no where.

I totally understand that there may be legal issues i do not know of, but if you can buy the installer from apple and make your own disc image before apple decides to sell you a USB stick with the same thing on it, that just feels like sticking it to the man rather than outright breaking the law.

The forum rules I think are clear.
This site is about purchased retail methods only.
If you don't have an existing Snow Leopard (which is the only way to get Lion at the moment), you can't be supported. The good news is, there are other sites that can support you on that.

4. Purchased Retail Software and Installation Methods Only.
We only support installations using purchased retail versions of software. Any discussion, mention or links to distributions, downloaded or hacked versions will be edited and/or deleted. Anyone who blatantly disregards this policy will be banned.

To me, it sounds like making a bootable Lion disc does not fall into a banned category on the board. To make a Lion boot disc you need to have purchased the Lion installer from Apple first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back