Contribute
Register

Inspiron 5523 - Ultrabook 15z i7-3517u

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is definitely turning into a full-time hobby!

So I was working through the iMessage 'how to' today and realized that I don't have any PCI cards detected. I have read enough instructions today to make my head hurt. I have the AR9280 and wifi worked oob. What I am not sure of now is what I actually need to be installing or doing (guide to follow) in order to get ethernet working.

Your guidance again is appreciated.

Ethernet: What Ethernet chipset do you have? Use DPCIManager->PCIList to find out. Install drivers (kexts) appropriate for your hardware.

I apologize for any errors in advance, I'm still kind of new to hackingtosh.

I have the same laptop except with the i5 (Which also doesn't have nvidia), 6gb ram, and I purchased an atheros 9285 for OSX. UEFI dual boot with Windows 8.1 via clover.

I successfully installed Mavericks and recently installed Yosemite. (All installed via clover)

Regarding the boot0 error, I had the same issue trying to boot from my USB 3.0 port to the installation. I got the drive0 error because Yosemite didn't have the required kext to run my USB drive (It was basically like unplugging the USB drive during the boot). What I ended up doing was injecting the generic usb kext via clover. You probably figured that out before it was a problem. But it is strange it is giving you the same error when the hdd is in the sata port. Sorry, I don't think my comment was much help about this.... :thumbdown: I guess boot0 errors may be cause by many other things. I just thought it was stange considering we almost have the same laptops.

Also, I never really had issues with the msata messing anything up. I'm actially about to upgrade mine to a 512gb msata (And move Yosemite to it). The only time I had an issue with it was when I upgraded windows 8 to windows 8.1. I received an error and just had to remove the ssd for the upgrade and install it back.

I'm still having trouble with my AppleHDA kext for sound and battery indicator. I've spent most of my time trying to get the battery indicator to work and havent really looked at the AppleHDA. If you ever get that patched, I'd greatly appreciate a copy!

I tried to follow Rehabman's DSDT battery edit, but I couldn't follow it through. I don't know anything about programing and such. I've struggled with it. How did you get your battery indicator to work? I know you said via Rehabman's kext, but which one exactly? I've been trying to patch my DSDT.

Also on mine, brightness works through system prefs. Camera works. LAN works (I think DSDT edit). Intel HD 4000 works with an EDID clover config edit, hdmi without sound (In mavericks I couldn't get sound to work either). Power management works without anything (I don't know if my ssdt patch fixed that or if it was from the beginning). And basically everything else works as far as I know. I only needed IOath3kfrmwr.kext for my Bluetooth, and no more kexts because of a patched dsdt and ssdt's. Oh and touchscreen works from the beginning :thumbup:

Card reader doesn't work. Mic and headphone jack don't work.

Let me know if any of the fixes I used can help you!

I tried to follow Rehabman's DSDT battery edit, but I couldn't follow it through. I don't know anything about programing and such. I've struggled with it. How did you get your battery indicator to work? I know you said via Rehabman's kext, but which one exactly? I've been trying to patch my DSDT.

It is likely there is a patch already for your computer in the repository.

Thank you for the reply! I was checking and the "Dell XPS 13" battery patch works for the 14z model; maybe it'll work? I'm gonna try that patch and let you know!

Sorry, I've been busy. None of the patches worked. I've been looking at the dsdt patch write up, and I'm starting to feel more comfortable. When I get some time, I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Been a while since I have been on here...reverted back to Win (don't ask me why!) and having a mb die on me I am back at putting OSX back on my system. Here is my question;

Before removing my, nearly, fully functional Hack (clover) I had used carbon copy to make a final copy of the drive to a portable. Now I would like to be able to boot off that drive and copy everything back...is this as simple as making a bootable USB with the same version and using that to boot the drive?

Been a while since I have been on here...reverted back to Win (don't ask me why!) and having a mb die on me I am back at putting OSX back on my system. Here is my question;

Before removing my, nearly, fully functional Hack (clover) I had used carbon copy to make a final copy of the drive to a portable. Now I would like to be able to boot off that drive and copy everything back...is this as simple as making a bootable USB with the same version and using that to boot the drive?

You can create an installer USB (any version) then use Disk Utility to clone from USB backup to your HDD/SSD.

You can create an installer USB (any version) then use Disk Utility to clone from USB backup to your HDD/SSD.

Thank you RehabMan! I assume that this will also carry the 'EFI' partition over as well?

Thank you RehabMan! I assume that this will also carry the 'EFI' partition over as well?

Cloning EFI is a separate task. Easy to do with Finder as it is just a simple file/folder copy.

So I am trying to create the installer and have tried both my kids machines to do this. Yosemite and El Capitan in unibeast are greyed out on both machines. On both I went to the App Store and the only available dl was Sierra. I tried dl'ing that on both machines, confirmed it to be in the applications folder but in both instances unibeast failed to recognize it being there.

Any suggestions because I'm stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back