Contribute
Register

Info on G5 Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely correct, the circuit just provides a variable voltage at the required current. The pulsed voltage is not necessary, it just pulses because of the digital regulation with PWM, Apple just left out the high quality filtering because the fan doesn't need it.

I am planning on connecting some of the fans to the cpufan connector on the motherboard when I complete the casemod. I just need to check what the pulse-to-rpm ratio is on a standard CPU fan, if that lines up with the G5 fans, it is as simple as connecting the 12v rail to the PSU, and the other 3 wires to the mobo CPU fan connector.

I am starting a thread as I have completed the first step on my casemod:Another G5 Case Mod, with some useful resources

What about the other way around? If I have a "real" mac, and I want to use quiet pc fans? How do i go about that? I'm thinking that the actual connection plug will be different and is there any way to control the speed with the built in sensor?

Thanks

What about the other way around? If I have a "real" mac, and I want to use quiet pc fans? How do i go about that? I'm thinking that the actual connection plug will be different and is there any way to control the speed with the built in sensor?

Thanks

I wouldn't touch them, as noted above MAC can supply start up voltages to quiet fans to start them up, and then they run near silent. I doubt you would get better performance with pc fans rigged in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back