Contribute
Register

Increase video RAM for macOS High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell V33HM
CPU
i7-6500u
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 520
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Okay, I've gone ahead and installed macOS High Sierra on my Dell XPS 9350 and as a primarily mac user, I was planning on just scrapping my windows partition and making High Sierra my daily driver (I know this is a terrible idea since High Sierra is still in beta but that's just me - I take large risks like these just to feel at home with the bleeding edge) I only have 2 setbacks at the moment one of which I cannot work without. Video RAM (else known as vRAM, I presume) is being shown as 1536MB on my macOS Partition but on Windows, I get around 4155MB which works much better for me in everyday processes like video editing, photoshop, illustrator and etc. Is there a way in which I can match my specs on my macOS partition with the specs on the Windows partition? I have checked in quite a few places and I can't seem to find an answer on how to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Okay, I've gone ahead and installed macOS High Sierra on my Dell XPS 9350 and as a primarily mac user, I was planning on just scrapping my windows partition and making High Sierra my daily driver (I know this is a terrible idea since High Sierra is still in beta but that's just me - I take large risks like these just to feel at home with the bleeding edge) I only have 2 setbacks at the moment one of which I cannot work without. Video RAM (else known as vRAM, I presume) is being shown as 1536MB on my macOS Partition but on Windows, I get around 4155MB which works much better for me in everyday processes like video editing, photoshop, illustrator and etc. Is there a way in which I can match my specs on my macOS partition with the specs on the Windows partition? I have checked in quite a few places and I can't seem to find an answer on how to accomplish this.

1536 is the expected result for macOS.

Windows implements a system called "Shared Memory" where it takes the excess vRAM usage once your vRAM is at capacity and dumps it into RAM. RAM however is actually slower than vRAM however, but it was introduced in the early days as a band-aid fix for the lack of vRAM in older graphics cards to help with video editing and such.

Windows implements a system called "Shared Memory" where it takes the excess vRAM usage once your vRAM is at capacity and dumps it into RAM. RAM however is actually slower than vRAM however, but it was introduced in the early days as a band-aid fix for the lack of vRAM in older graphics cards to help with video editing and such.

No VRAM in the Intel IGPU anyway.

So there's no way of increasing it?

So there's no way of increasing it?

It is determined by the data associated with the ig-platform-id inside the framebuffer kext.
It can be increased by patching the framebuffer appropriately, but there is no need to do so.

It varies depending on ig-platform-id used. For example, on Broadwell, 0x16160000 provides 1GB VRAM, 0x16160002 provides 1.5GB etc... The maximum is 1.5GB on macOS with Intel IGPU's. (Sorry for the double post. I forgot to add quotes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back