Gigabyte nVidia GTX560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm currently putting together my first Hackintosh. I've been rummaging through this forum and other Hackintosh sources and I have been using deadMETAL's guide as a starting point as he has the same motherboard as me. (http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... 56&start=0)

I just had a question about a UniBeast install of Lion. The version of Lion from the Mac App store is an update only and requires Snow Leopard to be installed already.

Will this still work with the UniBeast method or do I need to purchase the Lion USB Thumb drive?

No doubt I will have more questions so I will just keep updating this thread.

Cheers.

It is an update and a new OS.

If you have access to a mac you can download Lion for 30 dollars instead of buying the 70 dollar thumbdrive. The ONLY hindrance is you need a mac os environment to create the Unibeast stick. If you do not have a mac or access you will have to go the SL to Lion route, both around 30 dollars.

jester969 said:
It is an update and a new OS.

If you have access to a mac you can download Lion for 30 dollars instead of buying the 70 dollar thumbdrive. The ONLY hindrance is you need a mac os environment to create the Unibeast stick. If you do not have a mac or access you will have to go the SL to Lion route, both around 30 dollars.
Ah, ok. I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard on it. If I upgraded the OS on my MacBook Pro to Lion do you know if I can activate Lion on both the MacBook and the Hackintosh?

I also notice that you are dual booting Windows 7 and Lion. Does Windows need to be installed first or can I install that later down the track? I was hoping to buy another SSD dedicated for a Windows 7 boot.

Thanks again.

MilkIt said:
Ah, ok. I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard on it. If I upgraded the OS on my MacBook Pro to Lion do you know if I can activate Lion on both the MacBook and the Hackintosh?
Yes you can. You should be able to make a UniBeast USB boot drive with the Lion DMG (that you've downloaded from the App Store) to get your Hackintosh going. If you have a Lion USB thumb drive, UniBeast works with it as well to make a UniBeast with Lion USB boot drive.

MilkIt said:
I also notice that you are dual booting Windows 7 and Lion. Does Windows need to be installed first or can I install that later down the track? I was hoping to buy another SSD dedicated for a Windows 7 boot.

Thanks again.
If you can, I'd suggest getting that drive (SSD or otherwise) ASAP and just install Lion on it and leave your Windows drive alone to get a dual boot setup going.

If I upgraded the OS on my MacBook Pro to Lion do you know if I can activate Lion on both the MacBook and the Hackintosh?
Yes you can. Option click purchases in app store than redownload it to your applications folder.

You can add it before or after.

Here is a guide for dual booting OS

Single/Dual/Triple Booting Guide on one or separate HDDs/SSDs by GoingBald

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872

You don't have to upgrade your macbook with Lion. Just purchase the Lion OS, follow Unibeast instructions and proceed towards installation. If you do that you will have to redownload the file again.

Thanks everyone. I should be right from here on in.

If I have any more questions I'll add them here.

Cheers.

Just started my install...

When I get to the USB boot screen and hit "boot" and error flashes up about the Nvidia video card... it continues to the "choose language" install screen but my keyboard/mouse no longer works and I can't choose an option.

Also tried booting with the command line for Asus Motherboard + NVIDIA Graphics - type PCIRootUID=0

Just after some help.

Thanks.

EDIT: Error saying "Before you begin... there isn't a keyboard connected to your computer. Connect your keyboard now." My keyboard is a Logitech Dinovo Mac Edition but it can't connect to the onboard bluetooth. I also have another usb keyboard plugged in that does not work.

Try using a different USB port for the keyboard.

jester969 said:
Try using a different USB port for the keyboard.

Tried using the case USB ports instead of the motherboard ports and the USB keyboard and mouse worked.

I have Lion installed but having a couple of issues...

1. Bluetooth is non-existent: I installed Bluetooth firmware updates in Windows 7 with the suggested update and Lion doesn't recognise it. I need onboard bluetooth as my Mac keyboard doesn't have a Bluetooth receiver dongle.

2. No dual monitors for Nvidia GTX560: Chimera boot screen appears on monitor 1, then Lion desktop appears on monitor 2 when loaded. I've installed GTX 5XX enabler and ticked "Nvidia Fermi 4xx/5xx support" in MultiBeast.

3. Memory is showing 1600MHz as 1333MHz. Is this just a visual thing or isn't 1600MHz supported?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back