Contribute
Register

In Search of the Best Hackintosh Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm planning to change my Gainward GTS450 GS with ATI, because I hate suddenly freezing of my system.
Which ATI or maybe again nVidia, is the best solution considering my other components?
Is it a good time to changing GPU?
Thanks

vpetrovic said:
Hi
I'm planning to change my Gainward GTS450 GS with ATI, because I hate suddenly freezing of my system.
Which ATI or maybe again nVidia, is the best solution considering my other components?
Thanks

I personally don't like ATI because most of their cards do not work properly in MAYA. I always had Viewport and draw distance issues with them. I think Macintosh is making a big mistake by moving to them.

IMO, get the $99 GTX260 deal going on at Tiger Direct! It's also the Core 216 version and it's overclocked which puts the card on par with the older standard GTX280. I've had no issues at all with mine, installation was absolutely flawless as I just slapped it in the motherboard attached the power supply and turned the computer on.

Go back through this thread and look at the GPU scores of other cards compared to mine and other GTX260 users. Remember I'm only running this card with an E5400 CPU.

IMO, unless you really give a crap about DX11, for a hackintosh it's the easiest and simplest solution if you have a big enough case and PSU to support it. To each his own though, I use a Zotac Amp! GTX460 in my Windows 7 machine and don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

Notable Specifications
BFG GeForce GTX 260 896MD GDDR3 Overclocked Ed.

Memory Interface: 448-bit

Stream Processors: 216

Memory Bandwidth: 111.9GB/sec.

APIs: DirectX 10/OpenGL 2.1/CUDA

Multi-GPU Support: 3-Way SLI[/code]

brightico said:
vpetrovic said:
Hi
Thanks

I personally don't like ATI because most of their cards do not work properly in MAYA. I always had Viewport and draw distance issues with them. I think Macintosh is making a big mistake by moving to them.

IMO, get the $99 GTX260 deal going on at Tiger Direct! It's also the Core 216 version and it's overclocked which puts the card on par with the older standard GTX280. I've had no issues at all with mine, installation was absolutely flawless as I just slapped it in the motherboard attached the power supply and turned the computer on.

Go back through this thread and look at the GPU scores of other cards compared to mine and other GTX260 users. Remember I'm only running this card with an E5400 CPU.

IMO, unless you really give a crap about DX11, for a hackintosh it's the easiest and simplest solution if you have a big enough case and PSU to support it. To each his own though, I use a Zotac Amp! GTX460 in my Windows 7 machine and don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

Notable Specifications
BFG GeForce GTX 260 896MD GDDR3 Overclocked Ed.

Memory Interface: 448-bit

Stream Processors: 216

Memory Bandwidth: 111.9GB/sec.

APIs: DirectX 10/OpenGL 2.1/CUDA

Multi-GPU Support: 3-Way SLI[/code]

this card points in cinebech? or novabech?

As said above the GTX 260 is a pretty decent card. No freezes like my gtx 460.
You can find it pretty cheap right now. It may not be the fastest card but it has got to be one of the most stable.NB Score.tiff

Attachments

• NB Score.tiff
    63.2 KB · Views: 264
OpenGL score improved from ~9 > ~28 after AGPM loads proper, Matching plist deviceIDs was the key.
Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 11.05.47 AM.png
Any ideas on temp/powermode monitoring on 470? nvclock85b7 yielded freeze, not comfortable using again. IOReg indicates a "gpu-sensor" that is recognized, however not sure how/where to properly address.
Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 11.18.35 AM.png
::GTX470, Ga-X58-UD5, Xeon W3680::

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 11.05.47 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 11.05.47 AM.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 368
  • Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 11.18.35 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 11.18.35 AM.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 377
Can anyone forward me a good link to getting a new video card at 100%. I know its really a compilation of posts that people are using to make it happen but Im about to reload my system and although my system runs pretty smooth now, i have a feeling that it would scream if I did some further tweaking.

Im running:

i7 930 @ stock speed, stock cooler (about to upgrade to 990x and NH-C14 cooler)
12gb 1600 Ram (now down to 6gb, system would crash on wake up from sleep, found a bad memory chip caused this)
128gb SSD
BFG GTX 285 OXC

I was looking to get the best possible video card for live video performance and what Ive discovered is that the Nvidia 480 is the most recent card that is fully supported and can use SLI. Is this correct?

thanks again.

Kevlar

You have a GTX285, which a version of can be found in real macs. THat card should be easy to get working.
Most I read enable graphics throught their bootloader, look into that.
Also when you change Hardware components, even BIOS settings, it may cause panic at boot if using DSDT.
I was playing with OC'-ing the other day, dropped down CPU multtiplier and I couldn't get past panic. changed it back to ORG and it works. My guess is that CPU definitions alter in DSDT if I dropped multiplier, so it could have worked if I booted with iBoot, noDSDT, then dumped a new one and edited to my liking
Treat your upgrade like first install, have bootCD ready and youll have to make new DSDT if used on your system.
Also, if you re-install, Try with only 4gbram or less. i breezed install then added 8 more gigs and is good. however my sticks tested and fine before install. make sure they all match ie by the triple-chan-kit, i've heard matching single-stick-kits, even the same brand/model/retailer/order, might not work together well. havent that experience, but it swayed my buying thoughts

Just for a laugh here you go. Dell XPS 9000 Tower (no comments please, long story), been running flawlessly since last April. Used Empire EFI as iBoot gave me KP's (probably my NOOB self doing something wrong). GTS240 GPU (EFI Studio to select it as 9800GT). Parts incoming for new HackPro so hopefully be back soon with some better numbers.

Attachments

• XPS9000.png
    XPS9000.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 404
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back