In Search of the Best Hackintosh Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres my score

Attachments

• IMG157.jpg
    IMG157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 366
Something tells me my specs aren't right. From my beleifs I understand that my laptop can do far more points than the current ones I have. The thing is, I dont know how to improve it. It may be because I dont have one of those new Intel i processors.. I dunno :/
Any help, please.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 2.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 2.49.54 PM.png
    178 KB · Views: 292
Well just built this system, my first one, am please with it's stability, but can't help thinking its running a bit low with this hardware compared to some of the comparable scores? thoughts?.... or just my paranoia :D

Attachments

• Final run score.png
    Final run score.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 249
Well I swapped out the card for a BFG 285 GTX OC2, had to drop out both evoenabler and NVenabler 64 for it to be picked up fully, its now using the geforce texts as expected. However the scores are even lower.. Note that I am on a PH67 Asus, and Qi_QE is all working....

Any of the 285 peeps got any ideas for improvement?

Attachments

• Sys info.png
    Sys info.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Nova Bench.png
    Nova Bench.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Graphics Info.png
    Graphics Info.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 255
midgy said:
Well I swapped out the card for a BFG 285 GTX OC2, had to drop out both evoenabler and NVenabler 64 for it to be picked up fully, its now using the geforce texts as expected. However the scores are even lower.. Note that I am on a PH67 Asus, and Qi_QE is all working....

Have you added your device ID to AGPM?

Finding you device ID
Adding the device ID to AGPM.kext

sfroom said:
midgy said:

Have you added your device ID to AGPM?

Finding you device ID
Adding the device ID to AGPM.kext

Thanks for that, I've added the device ID to Macbookpro6,1 which is what I thought was the closest match to my system, unless there is a closer recommendation, scores have improved considerably but a lot less that what I see from some peoples GPU results and only 1 point better than my 4870, I see some more tweaking involved......

Really I thought the 285 on Lion was good to go out the box...... Unless its because I have changed cards from the 4870....

Ta

Attachments

• Nova Bench.png
    Nova Bench.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 311
Actually on that note are there further settings in the AGPM that should be changed to utilize the performance ?

Changed to imac11,1 and adjusted AGPM accordingly.. getting 518 on Novabench which is meh.

But on Cine I got double the OPENGL that I was getting, almost not bad, so with that in mind and my system listed above has anyone got an SMBIOS Setting that's given them good scores on the Novabench.. I notice there is no mac pro 3,1 listed in SMBIOS, on Lion..

Attachments

• cinebench on 11,1.png
    cinebench on 11,1.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 295
midgy said:
Changed to imac11,1 and adjusted AGPM accordingly.. getting 518 on Novabench which is meh.

But on Cine I got double the OPENGL that I was getting, almost not bad, so with that in mind and my system listed above has anyone got an SMBIOS Setting that's given them good scores on the Novabench.. I notice there is no mac pro 3,1 listed in SMBIOS, on Lion..

when I did the same thing and set it to macpro5,1 (been looking at other posts) I got a KP on AppleTY driver which is interesting, Rbooted back in and set it back to imac11,1 and all was ok again......

Thoughts anyone?

midgy said:

MacPro3,1 should be the baseline for performance. It's always the one to start with. It's got the most compatibility, but the worst power management.

As far as I'm aware, beyond aesthetics, there's no reason to use any other system identifier than MacPro. I know most modern hackintoshes with Sandy Bridge processors and Z68 chipsets are much closer to iMacs than Mac Pros, but iMac system definitions cause the OS much more miserly with power management (in an effort to keep the all-in-one enclosures cool, one might assume).

With the proper additions to AGPM, I believe the MacPro5,1 definition should perform just as well as the 3,1 while consuming less power.

Another thing to try would be to install the official nVidia drivers recently released on their website, and then rerun multibeast with graphicsenabler=no.

Let me know how it goes! I've got a GTX 285 that I plan to use in my next build.

I don't know why you're getting KP's while using MacPro 5,1. Are you using an edited DSDT?

What I recommend doing:
1. Keep using iMac if that's what's working for you.
2. Install the drivers from the nVidia site.
3. Ensure that proper AGPM edits are made, and edits to generate C/P states.
4. Disable graphicsenabler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back