Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
After years of flawless operation my hack hit a land mine this weekend. Been on Catalina with APFS booting a 5 year old Samsung 840 SSD. It got very flaky and unreliable on Saturday. Clover boots but shows no bootable drives. Finally decided to just restore time machine of the drive and re-clover a new drive. Now I find (of course) the 2014 version of Time Machine restore that I'm using from the Tonymac Mojave install thumbdrive doesn't know my Catalina backups are apparently split into the "drive name" and "drive-name-data" pieces, so it cannot restore the entire drive.. it just does the first part and there's no option of course to grab the "data" part which has all the stuff.

I never had the "Catalina" install files from Tonymac - I just upgraded my Mojave in-place to Catalina and it worked fine, so I kept it.

Is the Catalina Tonymac installation updated with a different version of the restore utility? I'd prefer to just fix the failed boot drive but it's just barely visible so I'm guessing it may be dying. It only shows up as "apfs storage" of some sort, no files visible, doesn't come up in finder... so it's really sick. But if I can find a way to restore from time machine I can just build another boot drive and we're off to the races again.

I have older hardware so I haven't taken the plunge to the newer versions since Catalina has been working just fine for me.

Back