Contribute
Register

iMessage not working after Mavericks install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Have installed several versions of OSX Mountain Lion over the past fews months with no issues with iMessages or FaceTime since the Chimera fix and FileNV RAM were implemented months ago. Even installed Mavericks and got both working no issue on an installation.

Unfortunately on my "Main" installation and the one I use ALL of the time(which I upgraded to Mavericks). I am stuck with both not working. Tried ALL of the fixes and no joy at all. I personally enjoy having both working and using both.

I will post back here in the rare chance I get one or both of them working again.

[Update]Followed the instructions in this post:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

My iMessage and FaceTime are both working again.

Spang

This worked for me

Didn't work for me unfortunately. I still get the activation failure message. Any other ideas?

Solved it with NVRAM 1.1.2 rather than 1.1.3.

I initially followed the guide in this topic which appeared to work but when I went to use iMessage today noticed that the account is inactive when viewed in iMessage Preferences. I've tried all of the suggested fixes but none appear to work, regardless of FileNVRAM version used. Now I either get 1 of 2 errors about activation not being possible or an unavailable & to try again later message. For a brief moment iMessage did allow me to sign in and set email addresses to receive messages from but reverted to "inactive" status.

For any of you that have managed to sign in, does your iMessage account list show as active or inactive & have you confirmed the service is working on your builds?

Edit:

So after messing with it for an hour I've got iMessage to work. I'm not sure what finally clicked but I'll outline what I did just in case it helps someone.

• Download FileNVRAM from here & move to Extra/modules
  • Signed out of iMessage (even though my account was "inactive")
  • Remove keychain entries relating to iMessage
  • Use Chameleon Wizard to change SMBios serial
  • Unlike other suggestions I have read & tried previously, I didn't use the 'random' buttons to generate a serial this time. I selected a pre-configured model from the drop down list which verified on Apple's online warranty checker.
  • Repair disk permissions
  • Reboot
  • Signed into iMessage successfully.

I also came across a "patch" on OSx86.net which supposedly fixes Find My Mac & iMessages, but just a warning in case others see/try it, it removed my /Extra/modules folder and the FileNVRAM file. Make sure you back up the folder if you attempt to use it.

Like I say, I'm not sure what was different this time compared to my previous attempts, my guess is the pre-configured model in Chameleon Wizard, but I'm just happy it works now. Can't confirm if Facetime works or not with this method as I don't have a webcam connected to my build (I've read the 2 versions of FileNVRAM only enable 1 or the other).

Last edited by a moderator:
So I did this and did the Chameleon Wizard and generated a new machine serial number, and it still does not work. Is really my only choice to reset my Apple ID password?

Still no joy here..... I even reset my imessage password and still no luck. I see all of my buddy status lights so it's kind of logged in, but not really! Help!

i initially followed the guide in this topic which appeared to work but when i went to use imessage today noticed that the account is inactive when viewed in imessage preferences. I've tried all of the suggested fixes but none appear to work, regardless of filenvram version used. Now i either get 1 of 2 errors about activation not being possible or an unavailable & to try again later message. For a brief moment imessage did allow me to sign in and set email addresses to receive messages from but reverted to "inactive" status.

For any of you that have managed to sign in, does your imessage account list show as active or inactive & have you confirmed the service is working on your builds?

edit:

so after messing with it for an hour i've got imessage to work. I'm not sure what finally clicked but i'll outline what i did just in case it helps someone.

• download filenvram from here & move to extra/modules
  • signed out of imessage (even though my account was "inactive")
  • remove keychain entries relating to imessage
  • use chameleon wizard to change smbios serial
  • unlike other suggestions i have read & tried previously, i didn't use the 'random' buttons to generate a serial this time. I selected a pre-configured model from the drop down list which verified on apple's online warranty checker.
  • repair disk permissions
  • reboot
  • signed into imessage successfully.

i also came across a "patch" on osx86.net which supposedly fixes find my mac & imessages, but just a warning in case others see/try it, it removed my /extra/modules folder and the filenvram file. Make sure you back up the folder if you attempt to use it.

Like i say, i'm not sure what was different this time compared to my previous attempts, my guess is the pre-configured model in chameleon wizard, but i'm just happy it works now. Can't confirm if facetime works or not with this method as i don't have a webcam connected to my build (i've read the 2 versions of filenvram only enable 1 or the other).

Last edited by a moderator:
1.)Download the correct file NVRAM (1.1.2 for iMessages), place this on your desktop. Select FileNVRAM/Archive :
http://public.xzenue.com/downloads/
2.)Navigate to your Extra/Modules folder and place the File NVRAM into Modules folder.
3.)Reboot

If this does not work then do the following (Thanks to Wildwillow)
Perform a reset password should via iTunes/accounts. Restart using UseKernelCache=No.View attachment 70742View attachment 70743View attachment 70744

Adrian B

worked for me like a charm. on boot up use "UseKernelCache=no" or boot option "Ignore Kernel Caches" in Chimaira

got a GA-Z77X-UD5H
core i7 3770K
gtx 680 4GB
Corsair Force Series SSD
Mavericks 10.9.0

iMessage working now! thanks a lot folks!

After 2 months of to and fro with 2 genuine macs and 4 hacks I finally found the solution, I simply logged in with someone else's id, it logged in instantly then I just went into preferences and logged out then entered my own id again and boom! it came on immediately. It has worked on all 4 Hacks and both Genuine macs seemed to just be logged in by the time I came to do it on them.

there must be some sort of info thats stuck at Apples end, maybe tying the UUID/AppleID up until using a different apple ID frees it up again

this might not be the ultimate solution but 6 machines fixed after 2 months must be something

@stephenw,

Apple have confirmed that they have two levels of Apple IDs which is also part of the issue. This looks like it will continue being a problem for some time to come unfortunately.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back