Graphics
GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently made a donation for the Custom Beast for my Gigabyte GA-Z68M-UD2-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K and EVGA GTX570. Prior to this I had written a guide for this card that is located here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29971

At one point I was seeing benchmarks with Novabench were 2182. (see page 4 of that post) and I was using the following:

1. Installed the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. for ID 1086 cards
2. Changing my system ID to iMac 12,2 via Multibeast

My CustomBeast is using MacPro 3,1 ID for which there is no corresponding ID within the AppleGraphicsPowerMAnagement kext.

I was also using Chameleon instead of Chimera at that time.

My current benchmarks with the MacPro 3,1 config are around 1360.

I'd like to get back to that performance level but not sure what the best way to do that is. I don't want to mess up the simplicity of CustomBeast but I want the performance of the prior ID.

I should add that the CustomBeast install was extremely slick and trouble free. I already highly recommend paying for it.

Suggestions appreciated.

I tried changing just the system ID (to imac 12,2) and the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext but that didnt improve anything. Benchmarks still around 1350

For full performance of GTX 580 AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext needs to be loaded.
It won't work with MacPro3,1 only with MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1. I'm using the latest.

Check it:
Code:
kextstat |grep AGPM
107 0 0xffffff7f81a80000 0xb000 0xb000 com.apple.driver.AGPM (100.12.42) <87 86 9 5 4 3>

aedon said:
For full performance of GTX 580 AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext needs to be loaded.
It won't work with MacPro3,1 only with MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1. I'm using the latest.

Check it:
Code:
kextstat |grep AGPM
107 0 0xffffff7f81a80000 0xb000 0xb000 com.apple.driver.AGPM (100.12.42) <87 86 9 5 4 3>

What am i looking at here?

If i tried imac 12,2 how is macpro going to be different?

Lerxst said:
If i tried imac 12,2 how is macpro going to be different?
You've tried but I'm afraid you did wrong. iMac profile shall work too, but still I don't use iMac profiles... call me crazy ;)

Lerxst said:
What am i looking at here?
Its a CLI (aka Terminal) command. If you don't know it then sorry, but I can't help you.

For getting GTX 580 running at max speed you'll need:

1. Edited (Info.plist), loaded and working AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext
2. Edited (Info.plist), loaded and working AppleLPC.kext
3. Binary patched GeForceGLDriver.bundle for openCL
4. Edited (Info.plist), loaded and working NVDAGF100Hal.kext
5. Correct kernel flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist

To get AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext load and working you will need a correct edited smbios.plist either for MacPro4, MacPro5 or iMac.

To get AppleLPC.kext load and working you will need proper dsdt.aml and correct kernel flags in the org.chameleon.boot.plist

For doing so you will need some basic info about CLI, vim or nano, lspci and the /var/log/kernel.log.

Enjoy and have fun.

aedon said:
For getting GTX 580 running at max speed you'll need:

5. Correct kernel flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist

To get AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext load and working you will need a correct edited smbios.plist either for MacPro4, MacPro5 or iMac.

To get AppleLPC.kext load and working you will need proper dsdt.aml and correct kernel flags in the org.chameleon.boot.plist

For doing so you will need some basic info about CLI, vim or nano, lspci and the /var/log/kernel.log.

Enjoy and have fun.

First I have a GTX570 and second I donated to get a CustomBeast installer that should have taken care of this.

From your description it sounds like I need to go back to my old method if I really want the best graphics performance. I hate to think I wasted my time doing a fresh reinstall just to find out its not going to work all that well.

I take it these stock kexts in 10.7.4 fufill this but not sure how to add them to the Info.plist

So we still need patched drivers for this? I was under the impression Chimera would solve this problem when it added the correct graphics card ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back