Contribute
Register

iMac vs Customac pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm considering to buy a video/photo editing system. I can buy an iMac 27" (i7 4.2hz- Radeon 580 8g- 32gb ram- 512SSD) for $2600 which is a good deal. however I don't really like support apple with buying their products. I saw the customac pro 7th generation on this website. with the same i7 CPU and almost same graphic card (both graphics are 8gb) the customac pro with 32GB ram and 512SSD drive and a GigaByte UD5 motherboard costs about $2100. (which is without famous 5k iMac's monitor and I also should spend at least $500-$600 for the monitor) iMac also has 1 year apple warranty.
I'm wondering if you can help me to know what the advantages of building a desktop customac are If you are paying almost the same money?
I also have a problem finding the UD5 motherboard which is out of stock on all online stores and I don't think Ultra Gaming is good enough.
Do you think I'd better to wait for the next update with 8th generation 6core CPUs? or I should buy the iMac?
Please help me to make a decision. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I'm considering to buy a video/photo editing system. I can buy an iMac 27" (i7 4.2hz- Radeon 580 8g- 32gb ram- 512SSD) for $2600 which is a good deal. however I don't really like support apple with buying their products. I saw the customac pro 7th generation on this website. with the same i7 CPU and almost same graphic card (both graphics are 8gb) the customac pro with 32GB ram and 512SSD drive and a GigaByte UD5 motherboard costs about $2100. (which is without famous 5k iMac's monitor and I also should spend at least $500-$600 for the monitor) iMac also has 1 year apple warranty.
I'm wondering if you can help me to know what the advantages of building a desktop customac are If you are paying almost the same money?
I also have a problem finding the UD5 motherboard which is out of stock on all online stores and I don't think Ultra Gaming is good enough.
Do you think I'd better to wait for the next update with 8th generation 6core CPUs? or I should buy the iMac?
Please help me to make a decision. Thank you.

For a video editing system I would go with the 6 core 8700K. It already has enough support in High Sierra to get it working. It will likely get better support if Apple releases a refreshed iMac with one this year. If you use FCP get the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 card to go with this and you should outperform the $2600 iMac. If ram prices go down soon, as they should, you can pay even less than what the 27" 5K iMac costs. Repairs and upgrades later on are so much easier with a CustoMac Pro (Paying an Apple tech to disassemble an iMac gets very expensive very quickly.) You also don't get thermal throttling like in the iMac. Use a capable liquid cooling system or a high end Noctua air cooler. Those are the main benefits of going this route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back