Contribute
Register

iMac 24 2006 Mod- Safety Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve modified it to work with a third party PSU. I used the EQ Store kit for the display and connected the controller board, PSU, and inverter so they make kind of a triangle of wires. Basically, you plug a standard ATX power supply cable to the PSU, connect the 12v to controller board, 24v to inverter, and a green and white wire from inverted to controller board for what I would assume is brightness. And LVDS from controller board to Display.

Mine died in a matter of minutes as I improperly sealed the EMI shielding up.

The aftermarket PSU works but it’s heatsinks just barely miss the back of the display, so be sure to insulate back of display and under all the boards.

If you have any questions or want pictures of the setup I’d be happy to help. (or just look further up in the thread).

Thanks!

(also, can anyone help me with my iSight dilemma?)

It'd be cool if you could show me the cables close up please, I've had a look at the others in the thread. So you're not currently using this 24" display?

As for the iSight, I think I'll have the same issue in Windows 10 and when I finally hackintosh. Until then I'm not sure what to suggest sorry

FlyingApple did your controller board allow you to use max 1920 × 1200 resolution? As the controller that I found for this display says max resolution 2048x1152 and the sellers says on the ad this: "If you concern much about resolution setting, please reconsider before bidding!"

Thanks!

FlyingApple, I have embarked on a similar conversion to your 20" one. Just today I was playing with trying to sort out a webcam solution and ran into the same problems as you. It is my belief that Apple stopped the support for this particular iSight from the white 2006 Intel 20" Intel models ( mine is product id 0x8300 ) for more recent OS variations, so if you want a built in camera it will be necessary to opt for a later one with UVC support to put in place.
My build is at the stage where I have the original iMac PSU and the new inverter board plus controller board all tucked in nicely and next will be populating the case with a system.
EDIT: The above is not quite true. In fact the camera can be used by replacing the missing plugin that Apple deprecated after Sierra. By this I mean that inside the IOUSBFamily.kext there is a plugins folder that up until the last version of Sierra had an internal kext called "AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext". If you grab that from Sierra and then install it into Library/Extensions on your High Sierra or Mojave install then the necessary firmware will load and the iSight camera will work again as normal.

Last edited:
Dear all
I have come to this thread after long search on the net...I have found a nice solution to use the original system and the screen as a second monitor at the same time. If anyone can tell me the pinout of the 8 pins of the original PSU of the 24" iMac white I will post pictures if it works. Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_195403695.jpg
    IMG_20190318_195403695.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 156
Hi, I have an imac 24 of 2006 to be converted to external monitor ... I have already found what I need, but I would like to use the original Apple PSU, because it will certainly be better than the Chinese offered to me by the retailer.

Hoping to please you I am attaching the links of the pieces.
Here LVDS Offered by the retailer HERE
Here PSU Offered by the seller HERE
Here LCD panel datasheet and pinout HERE

Having these info, in the afternoon I should be able to post a pinout of the Apple PSU.

Apple PSU Front
View attachment 331851
Apple PSU Rear - Pin 7 track signed in Blue
View attachment 331853

PINOUT PSU:
View attachment 331854View attachment 331852
I hope you can use it as a single PSU, even if I have doubts about the brightness adjustment and re-closability of everything. Indeed, I would add that if the work succeeded, the next step will also be to link the original speakers, always allowing spaces.

EDIT: Upload photo, PINOUT PSU, PIN 7 Track
EDIT2: Del pin 7 al momento non ne ho certezza, sul PSU perdo la pista, ma è presente un cavo che va alla Motherboard. L'alimentatore è Always ON
Dear Anto93, could you please resend the attachments of the PSU pinout? They are not there anymore, many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back