Contribute
Register

imablackhat, Sierra - GA-Z170MX Gaming 5, i7-6700K, 980TI, 16GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
imablackhat,

I have a nearly identical system... different case and peripherals, but same motherboard, graphics and wireless cards. When I use your BIOS settings, I get a boot error.
Where do you find the menu to disable the serial ports?

When you configured your system, did you have the monitor hooked up to the internal or the external graphics card?

Right now I have the monitor hooked to the internal graphics. I have installed the Nvidia web drivers and the are active. When I boot using the 980 ti, the screen goes full black after 3/4 of the apple load screen.

I'd really appreciate your thoughtful counsel.

Erik
I have never used the internal graphics, always used the display port setup on the monitor & video card, worked native with horrible resolution until I enabled the correct drivers. Make sure to load optimized defaults prior to changing the bios settings to make it work. And to disable the serial port see above ^ :)

I rebuilt the system, I avoided the boot error, buy I have the same error... the screen goes black halfway through the Apple Load Screen.
Wonkey Donkey has a similar issue on this page:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...loading-problems.161256/page-156#post-1418226

I suspect the problem may be HDMI handshaking with my 65" Oled 4K Television. I'll try it again tomorrow evening with a smaller monitor hooked up through DVI.

I rebuilt the system, I avoided the boot error, buy I have the same error... the screen goes black halfway through the Apple Load Screen.
Wonkey Donkey has a similar issue on this page:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...loading-problems.161256/page-156#post-1418226

I suspect the problem may be HDMI handshaking with my 65" Oled 4K Television. I'll try it again tomorrow evening with a smaller monitor hooked up through DVI.
its possible? I have it hooked up to DisplayPort.

Wow this looks great! And this is funny, I plan on the building pretty much the exact same build. As a first time builder, I'm a bit nervous how it will go. So, if I run into any troubles, would you mind helping out?

Also I'm a bit confused regarding the extra fans you added. (Also, why didn't you add them to the component list in the first post?) Do I need to buy anything extra that is not mentioned (radiator?) or will it make more sense when I have them in front of me? And regarding the GPU, would you recommend the gt 980ti ACX 2.0 because of how silent and low temp or will any gtx 980ti do? Because right now, I'm looking at any gt980ti I can get my hands on. But, should I be more considerate here? Thanks and congratulations on your build!

Edit: another thing, is 850W really necessary or would I be fine with 750/650? trying to save some money..

Last edited:
Wow this looks great! And this is funny, I plan on the building pretty much the exact same build. As a first time builder, I'm a bit nervous how it will go. So, if I run into any troubles, would you mind helping out?

Also I'm a bit confused regarding the extra fans you added. (Also, why didn't you add them to the component list in the first post?) Do I need to buy anything extra that is not mentioned (radiator?) or will it make more sense when I have them in front of me? And regarding the GPU, would you recommend the gt 980ti ACX 2.0 because of how silent and low temp or will any gtx 980ti do? Because right now, I'm looking at any gt980ti I can get my hands on. But, should I be more considerate here? Thanks and congratulations on your build!

Edit: another thing, is 850W really necessary or would I be fine with 750/650? trying to save some money..

I don't mind helping at all as long as you have the same exact build I know how it all works. I got ACX 2.0 due to silence, the card still runs hot but with my 2 back fans I solved this issue and now it never gets to the max point. but the TI cards do run hot, I recommend 750-850, I grabbed 850 as it was a deal and I am powering lots, figure its better w/ the 10 year warranty. the radiator comes with the h100i v2 I got from amazon, and the fans that come stock on it are a little loud so I replaced those as well.

its possible? I have it hooked up to DisplayPort.
I was able to hook up a second small monitor via DVI and it worked. I was able to add the LG as a 2 monitor system, and I believe I've discovered the problem.
The monitor goes to Black when it receives a 60hz signal. And the monitor continually demands one.

I believe when I add a new HDMI 2.0 certified cable that it will take care of the issue. I'll drop a line back after I've tried it on Sunday.

Imablackhat,

Things are moving pretty well. As it turns out, my 65" OLED sends a handshake signal to the Nvidia card that requests a 60hz 4k signal. However with my current cable, the monitor goes black whenever it gets a 60hz signal at any resolution.

I've installed switchres and configured it to force a 30hz signal and that works. So...

Almost everything works except my USB ports on the back of the motherboard. Any ideas on how to enable those ports?

Also, a small thing, Geekbench 4.0 fails when attempting the graphics benchmarks. Are you able to run that test successfully?

Thanks for your time and acumen.

Erik

I've installed clover configurator and I'm looking around to figure it out. I don't have my ethernet driver loaded so I can't use the app store. I've found the proper Kext, but I don't know how to install it. Apparently it involves rebuilding the cache, but I have little clue how to do that. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back