Contribute
Register

I'm Stuck part way through the white Apple Loader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Killer E2200
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k
Graphics
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

Trying to install OS X El Capitan on my dual boot.

Here are my Specs:
Mobo: ASRock Z97 Killer E2200
Processor: Intel i7-4790K
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2-8gb DDR3
Wireless Card: TP-Link AC1750 PCI Express Adapter

I have disabled VT-d, Secure Boot Mode, USB 3.0. My SSD's are set to AHCI. I tried the UEFI Boot Mode which did not work, and tried the Legacy Boot Mode which got me to where I am currently.

When I boot from OS X El Capitan I get part way through the loader then it freezes and restarts to a black screen. I do not have a graphics card yet, but I have tried the "nv_disable=1" boot argument and had the same result.

I tried booting in Verbose by when pressing space bar, Here is my screen:

IMG_0799.jpg

I also tried booting OS X El Capitan in safe mode to no avail, here is my screen:

IMG_0800.jpg

I don't know if these pictures help. Anyways, hopefully someone can help me out. Thank you!

Here are my BIOS settings:

Advanced CPU Configuration:
Intel Hyper Threading Technology - ENABLED
Active Processor Cores - ALL
CPU C States Support - AUTO
Enhanced Halt State(C1E) - AUTO
CPU C3 State Support - AUTO
CPU C6 State Support - AUTO
CPU C7 State Support - AUTO
Package C State Support - DISABLED
CPU Thermal Throttling - ENABLED
No-Execute Memory Protection - ENABLED
Intel Virtualization Technology - DISABLED
Hardware Prefetcher - ENABLED
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch - ENABLED

Advanced Chipset Configuration:
Primary Graphics Driver - PCI Express
VT-d - DISABLED
PCIE2 Link Speed - AUTO
S8 DMI Link ASPM Control - DISABLED
Share Memory - AUTO
IGPU Multi-Monitor - DISABLED
Render Standby - ENABLED
Onboard HD Audio - AUTO
Front Panel - AUTO
Onboard HDMI HD Audio - ENABLED
Onboard LAN - ENABLED
Deep sleep - DISABLED
Restore on AC/Power Loss - POWER OFF
Good Night LED - AUTO

Advanced Storage Configuration:
SATA Contriller(s) - ENABLED
SATA Mode Selection - AHCI
SATA Agressive Link Power Management - DISABLED
Dynamic Storage Accelerator - ENABLED
Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T - ENABLED
M2/SATA3_4, SATA3_5 Switch - AUTO

Intel Rapid Start Technology - DISABLED
Intel Smart Connect Technology - ENABLED
Intel Thunderbolt Technology - DISABLED

Advanced Super IO Configuration:
PS2 Y-Cable - AUTO
Serial Port - ENABLED
Serial Port Address - 3F8h/IRQ4

Advanced ACPI Configuration:
Suspend to RAM - AUTO
Check Ready Bit - ENABLED
ACPI HPET Table - ENABLED
PS/2 Keyboard Power On - DISABLED
PCI Devices Power On - DISABLED
Ring-In Power On - DISABLED
RTC Alarm Power On - By OS
USB Keyboard/Remote Power On - DISABLED
USB Mouse Power On - DISABLED

Advanced USB Configuration:
USB Controller - ENABLED
Intel USB3.0 Mode - DISABLED
Legacy USB Support - ENABLED
USB Compatibility Patch - DISABLED

Boot Option Priorities:
Boot Option #1 - SanDisk USB

Fast Boot - DISABLED
Boot From Onboard LAN - DISABLED
Setup Prompt Timeout - Blank
Bootup Num-Lock - ON
Boot Beep - DISABLED
Full Screen Logo - ENABLED
Boot Failure Guard - ENABLED
Boot Failure Guard Count - 3

Secure Boot - DISABLED

Can anyone shed light on my issue..? Thank you.

With a 97 board you should be booting UEFI not Legacy, so I would switch back to that. You may need the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/174726-guide-asrock-uefi-boot-fix.html to get it working.

You should disable the serial port in BIOS (you have it listed as enabled in your BIOS settings), because that is known to cause problems.

With HD 4600 integrated graphics, you should select nothing from the graphics screen in UniBeast.

Then see if you're in a better place.

With a 97 board you should be booting UEFI not Legacy, so I would switch back to that. You may need the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/174726-guide-asrock-uefi-boot-fix.html to get it working.

You should disable the serial port in BIOS (you have it listed as enabled in your BIOS settings), because that is known to cause problems.

With HD 4600 integrated graphics, you should select nothing from the graphics screen in UniBeast.

Then see if you're in a better place.

Alright so when I select the UEFI boot protocol for the USB installer I get the message shown below:

IMG_0827.jpg

I posted in the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/174726-guide-asrock-uefi-boot-fix.html thread to try and get some help, however it was mentioned that:

What I can say from your error message is that your system can not see a bootable device.

Maybe you have not installed Clover on the system drive, or not setup your USB installer correctly.

Alternatively, you may have not selected the UEFI device to boot from.

The only thing I would change on your settings is to disable Smart Connect.

I know that I set up my USB install correctly because I followed the instructions to a T with El Capitan, UEFI, and no graphics selected. Would it help to format my SSD to GUID before trying to boot from the installer? How would I install Clover clover into the system drive if the USB installer is not recognized by my system?

Alright so when I select the UEFI boot protocol for the USB installer I get the message shown below:

View attachment 175997

I posted in the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/174726-guide-asrock-uefi-boot-fix.html thread to try and get some help, however it was mentioned that:

What I can say from your error message is that your system can not see a bootable device.

Maybe you have not installed Clover on the system drive, or not setup your USB installer correctly.

Alternatively, you may have not selected the UEFI device to boot from.

The only thing I would change on your settings is to disable Smart Connect.

I know that I set up my USB install correctly because I followed the instructions to a T with El Capitan, UEFI, and no graphics selected. Would it help to format my SSD to GUID before trying to boot from the installer? How would I install Clover clover into the system drive if the USB installer is not recognized by my system?
Ensure bios is set for UEFI or UEFI and Legacy, at boot up hit whatever F key you need to select boot device/since 10.11+ has USB issues you may need to try different USB ports.

Ensure bios is set for UEFI or UEFI and Legacy, at boot up hit whatever F key you need to select boot device/since 10.11+ has USB issues you may need to try different USB ports.

I am quite sure that my BIOS is set to UEFI, however I will check it again when I get off work. I have tried other USB 2.0 ports but to no avail. All my USB 3.0 ports have been disabled.

First, just because UEFI boot is enabled in BIOS doesn't mean the BIOS will choose to attempt a UEFI boot. It looked from the error like it was attempting a Legacy boot to a UEFI device. So what Ken394 was suggesting is that you use your BIOS hotkey to select a boot device, and make sure to select the one for your drive that begins with UEFI, such as "UEFI:MyInstallDrive" (not just "MyInstallDrive" which would typically be a legacy boot).

The USB Fixes will be helpful, in that you should then be able to use any USB port (except those on a third-party USB controller) and either a USB2 or USB3 flash device. But that would not fix the "Reboot and select proper boot device" problem, it would fix other problems down the road (such as "Still waiting for root device").

First, just because UEFI boot is enabled in BIOS doesn't mean the BIOS will choose to attempt a UEFI boot. It looked from the error like it was attempting a Legacy boot to a UEFI device. So what Ken394 was suggesting is that you use your BIOS hotkey to select a boot device, and make sure to select the one for your drive that begins with UEFI, such as "UEFI:MyInstallDrive" (not just "MyInstallDrive" which would typically be a legacy boot).

The USB Fixes will be helpful, in that you should then be able to use any USB port (except those on a third-party USB controller) and either a USB2 or USB3 flash device. But that would not fix the "Reboot and select proper boot device" problem, it would fix other problems down the road (such as "Still waiting for root device").

Woo we have progress! However it is stuck here:

IMG_0831.jpg

So I went to my BIOS and changed the boot protocol to (UEFI: USB SanDisk) and It brought up Clover and the Boot Install El Capitan selection. Fingers crossed that this will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back