Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I've been an avid Mac user for the past 10 years and am now looking to build a Hackintosh because of cost and I like OSX better than Windows, but I don't want to pay the Mac price tag again. I have put together a build list and want to confirm that all of these parts will be compatible with each other as well as being able to install Mountain Lion & Windows 8 before I purchase them...

Here is the build list:

Case - BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower

Case - $70.JPG

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

CPU - $220.JPG

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Motherboard - $175.JPG

DVD Burner - ASUS 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

DVD Burner - $18.JPG

GPU - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU - $215.JPG

HDD - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HDD - $100.JPG

Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply

Power Supply - $105.JPG

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10

RAM - $120.JPG

SSD - SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25

SSD - $190.JPG

WiFi - TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2

WiFi - $45.JPG

The other question/concern I have is being able to install both Mountain Lion & Windows 8 on the SSD drive I listed. Would it be best to partition the drive into 2 parts equally and install each OS on each separate partition or would it be better to buy a second SSD and install the OS's separately on different drives? I appreciate any help and recommendations I could get since I have been out of the PC community for quite some time now.

Thanks,

-Tanner

The most critical components to a successful build are the motherboard, processor and graphics card. The next component that can be a problem is the optical drive. I'd forgo the Asus optical drive for a Sony or LG as recommended in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide. I've been very happy with Intel's Integrated Graphics which your motherboard and processor support.

For dual booting, we recommend two drives. Install Windoze first with your OS X designated drive disconnected. Then, disconnect the windoze drive and connect the OS X designated and install OS X using the UniBeast Installation Guide. Finally, with both drives connected, give the OS X drive boot priority in your BIOS.

Dual booting from the same drive, different partitions is a tad more difficult. The size of your partitions depends upon the size of your SSD and the programs you'll use. 120GB is what I use for my OS X system with plenty of room left over. Dunno about Windoze because I don't use it. Take a look at

RehabMan's Guide to Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X Lion, and Ubuntu Multi-Boot

Going Bald's Guide for multi booting (there are others) to begin your understanding: [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice

Dual booting from the same drive, different partitions is a tad more difficult. The size of your partitions depends upon the size of your SSD and the programs you'll use. 120GB is what I use for my OS X system with plenty of room left over. Dunno about Windoze because I don't use it. Take a look at

RehabMan's Guide to Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X Lion, and Ubuntu Multi-Boot

Going Bald's Guide for multi booting (there are others) to begin your understanding: [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice

Or the new one for ML and Win8: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back