Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
as much as i love osx and despise windows 7 and when things good... things are great. But when things go wrong, it's seriously almost not worth it. it takes days of troubleshooting i'm pulling my hair out.

I had updates up to 10.7.2 working out of box flawlessly, onboard graphics but when I made the update jump to 10.7.3 OR 10.7.4, it causes a major kernel panic and won't boot. I can't even count how many times I cloned my backup clean copy of 10.7.2 to the main harddrive to apply different updates and multibeast settings.

Installed using combo update and either 10.7.3 or 10.7.4 causes kernal panic upon reboot. Tried it with no multibeast, with multibeast, just system utilities, DSDT as well as no DSDT.. nothing. Same results. So I guess I eliminated that multibeast isn't causing it and it's the update but I don't know WHAT.

Went into verbose mode. Kernel panic shows dependency on appleUSBComposite and IOUSBfamily. Okay, went into S/L/E and replaced IOUSBfamily from my 10.7.2 backup harddrive. AppleUSBcomposite is nowhere to be found.

The one time (out of a million cloned copies and reupdate installs) that it worked was when I just did a clean clone of 10.7.2 and then did the apple software update + multibeast's system util. It rebooted, finished the update. Upon 2nd reboot, same kernel panic issue.

ANYONE have ANY ideas?

Just bought a new NVIDIA graphics card and I don't want to ditch OSX yet. I would just stay on 10.7.2 forever but it seems that you need at least 10.7.3 to get the NVIDIA drivers installed. 10.7.3 or 10.7.4 are both crap.

The biggest mistake I made so far when upgrading versions. When I was reinstalling the OS. I did not make sure the hard drive was empty. I restored and had files from snow leopard in the extra folder that impacted my rebuild. I got things rolling faster when I wiped the drive clean before restoring. hope this helps.

Thanks. I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK (I hope)...... such a relief.

10.7.4 with newest NVIDIA drivers for my GTX 460 with CUDA drivers. Dual monitor working properly. Just need to see if the graphics card is working properly by testing it.
No kernel panic. I spent all this time trying to make a Unibeast USB and couldn't get into the Apple app store when I remembered I made a rBoot+xMove Lion installer. I erased everything, installed a brand new copy of Lion using rBoot+xMove and then installed the 10.7.4 combo update. I used Multibeast 4.3.0 and clicked System Util, Chimera and IOUSBrollback.

Given my level of knowledge and expertise (low) on Hackintosh and kexts, programming, etc. I think it's a much safer and time efficient option to make a good solid backup of my stuff and to just reinstall everything from scratch whenever there's a problem. Troubleshooting by moving kexts around and doing things in terminal or command line is not for me ...lol

kettlecorn said:

10.7.4 with newest NVIDIA drivers for my GTX 460 with CUDA drivers. Dual monitor working properly. Just need to see if the graphics card is working properly by testing it.
No kernel panic. I spent all this time trying to make a Unibeast USB and couldn't get into the Apple app store when I remembered I made a rBoot+xMove Lion installer. I erased everything, installed a brand new copy of Lion using rBoot+xMove and then installed the 10.7.4 combo update. I used Multibeast 4.3.0 and clicked System Util, Chimera and IOUSBrollback.

Given my level of knowledge and expertise (low) on Hackintosh and kexts, programming, etc. I think it's a much safer and time efficient option to make a good solid backup of my stuff and to just reinstall everything from scratch whenever there's a problem. Troubleshooting by moving kexts around and doing things in terminal or command line is not for me ...lol

Glad you got it goingl. I have a issue when I have my windows 7 hdd installed. I get the pci configuration begins error or whatever on my main Lion 10.7.4 hdd but when I don't have my win7 hdd plugged in, my Lion boots sweeter than Yoohoo! That's why these are such annoying but sweet rigs. When they work, you feel great, when they fail, you curse them. Can't blame the updates. For most of us and our gear, OSX wasn't even supposed to work on it anyways! Lol.

kettlecorn said:

I'm having exactly the same problem. After I install the 10.7.4 update I get this kernel panic message about IOUSB. My question is, how did you manage to fix this by using Multibeast after installing the 10.7.4 update since you can't boot after the update? Is there a standalone bootable version of multibeast that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Update: Just tried again, installing all the multibeast stuff before updating and it is all working just fine :) Didn't think this would work but it did.

joaoninguem said:
kettlecorn said:

I'm having exactly the same problem. After I install the 10.7.4 update I get this kernel panic message about IOUSB. My question is, how did you manage to fix this by using Multibeast after installing the 10.7.4 update since you can't boot after the update? Is there a standalone bootable version of multibeast that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Update: Just tried again, installing all the multibeast stuff before updating and it is all working just fine :) Didn't think this would work but it did.
Really that's weird. multibeat should be after so whatever the update changes, it changes back and overwrites it. I honestly cloned my lion 10.7.2 drive and updated. Fail. Cloned from backup again, tried different settings. Fail. Etc. Finally did a clean install fresh off usb and combo updated directly to 10.7.4 and then ran multibeast no problem. Backed it up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back